Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Advances to National Semifinals with 1-0 win over BC

Sophie Bowden scored the game-winner for UConn.
Nov. 15, 2015

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. – For the fourth time in the last five seasons, the No. 3 University of Connecticut field hockey team is headed to the National Semifinals after beating No. 9 Boston College, 1-0, in an NCAA Tournament Quarterfinal game on Sunday afternoon at the George J. Sherman Family-Sports Complex. The Huskies are the only undefeated team headed to Ann Arbor, Mich. with a 22-0 record, while the Eagles wrap up their season with a 13-9 mark.

Connecticut will battle No. 2 Syracuse on Friday, Nov. 20 after the Orange defeated Princeton, 5-0, in the quarterfinals on Sunday. The start time is set for noon. UConn has advanced to the semifinals in six of the last 10 years and eight times under head coach Nancy Stevens. The Huskies sport a 13-8 all-time record in NCAA Quarterfinal meetings, including a streak of three in-a-row.

The Huskies have now won 36-straight games, dating back to 2014, and an impressive 11 consecutive NCAA Tournament contests going back to the 2013 national championship run. Overall, Connecticut owns a 40-22 (.645) mark in the national tournament and has won 27 of 44 tournament games since Stevens arrived to the Storrs campus prior to the 1990 season.

UConn established its offensive attack early as sophomore Charlotte Veitner (Dusseldorf, Germany) sent the first shot of the game high after just 59 seconds. The Huskies kept pounding on the door but junior Anna Middendorf’s (Bremen, Germany) shot strayed wide and Veitner’s attempts were saved by BC’s goalie Leah Settipane. Senior Roisin Upton (Limerick, Ireland) joined the party with powerful slaps but her tries were held off.

With 26:12 on the clock, the Huskies capitalized on their third penalty corner of the first half. Veitner inserted the ball in from the left side to graduate student Pippa Lewis (Malvern, England), who stepped back to let Upton send a blast towards goal. Senior Sophie Bowden (Somerset, England) executed an impressive back door cut to get to the ball just in time to tip in the game-winner for her fourth goal of the season.

Connecticut was a force on both sides of the ball throughout the game. The Huskies posted 12 shots in the first half and 10 in the final 35 minutes while not allowing the Eagles to get off a single shot all game.

UConn also totaled 12 penalty corners and successfully defended BC’s lone attempt.

In a six minute span to start the second half, the Huskies recorded five corners, three of which were consecutive attempts. In that time frame, UConn fired six shots towards the cage.

Redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Nina Klein (Topton, Pa.) was well protected by the Husky defense as the team earned its 15th shutout of the season.