Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Rally Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Northeastern

Jan. 2, 2017

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

STORRS, Conn. – After tying the game up 2-2 in the third, the UConn women’s hockey team fell short of Northeastern 4-2 on Monday in the battle of the Huskies at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum.

Junior Theresa Knutson (Onalaska, Wis.) scored her eighth goal of season early in the third period to tie the game up 2-2, but UConn couldn’t hang on in the end. Junior goaltender Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec) finished with 27 saves on the evening.

UConn drops to 9-7-3 overall and to an even 4-4-1 in WHEA games while Northeastern climbs to 12-6-3 big picture with 8-4-2 conference slate.


Northeastern claimed a 1-0 lead halfway through the first period after senior Kelly Harris (Canton, Mich.) was called for tripping. NU’s Ainsley MacMillan capitalized from the point on the power play off a cross from Lauren Kelly to put Northeastern up 1-0 10:38 into the first.

Knutson gave UConn a chance to tie it up in the first when she had a good scoring chance off a fast break, but was pulled down after the play. UConn then went up on the power play, but could not find the back of the net and trailed NU 1-0 heading into the first intermission.


NU started off the second period with an early power play after freshman Tristyn Svetek (Burlington, Ont.) was called for hooking 1:05 into the middle frame, but UConn held Northeastern shot-less for two minutes to successfully kill off the penalty.

Northeastern extended its lead 6:37 into the second period after both teams received matching penalties for roughing to make it four-on-four hockey.

UConn cut the rival Huskies’ lead in half 10:06 into the second period when freshman Briana Colangelo (Whitby, Ont.) went top shelf on the power play. Junior Justine Fredette (Winnipeg, Manitoba) took credit for the helper.


UConn tied it up 2-2 early in the third period when Knutson snuck one behind Northeastern goalkeeper Brittany Bugalski from outside the face-off dot after Svetek fed it up into the offensive zone. Knutson is now tied for first on the team with 17 points this season alongside classmate Leah Lum (Richmond, B.C.).

With less than three minutes to play in the game, Northeastern’s Paige Savage notched the game-winning goal with 2:42 left on the clock to take a late 3-2 lead.

UConn called a timeout with just over two minutes to play in the game in search for another equalizer. Belanger came to the bench with 1:15 up on the clock to give Connecticut the extra player.

Northeastern sealed the score 4-2 with an empty net goal from Hayley Scamurra, who finished with three points, with just 21 seconds left in the game.


The Huskies are back in action Friday, Jan. 6 when they host conference contender, Merrimack for game one of the home-and-home series at the Freitas Ice Forum.