Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Picks Up WHEA Point With 3-3 Tie At Northeastern

Rebecca Fleming scored her second goal of the season in the draw
Jan. 3, 2015

Final Stats

BOSTON – The UConn women’s hockey team got goals from three skaters and a 42-save performance from Elaine Chuli in a 3-3 overtime tie at Northeastern on Saturday afternoon at Matthews Arena.  The result moves Connecticut to 4-10-6 on the year and 0-5-3 in league action, while NU goes to 6-9-4 and 5-4-1 in Hockey East.

The Huskies in National Flag Blue and White got goals from Margaret Zimmer (St. Charles, Ill.), Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) and Rebecca Fleming (Newton, Mass.) in the back-and-forth contest. After UConn scored in the first minute, NU went ahead 2-1 before Snodgrass tied it in a four-goal first period. Fleming put UConn ahead in the second, before NU’s Kendall Coyne scored her second of the contest early in the third period to force the eventual draw.



Northeastern held a 45-30 advantage in shots on goal, with Chuli (Waterford, Ontario) sharp in turning aside 42 shots for UConn. In goal for NU, Chloe Desjardins made nine saves before giving way to Sarah Foss, who turned aside all 18 shots she faced. Both sides went 1-for-5 on the power play, and NU held a slim 30-29 edge in the face-off dot.

UConn wasted no time getting on the board early, taking a 1-0 lead 40 seconds into the contest. Rachel Farrel (Cheshire, Conn.) won a faceoff in the Northeastern zone back to Zimmer, who wheeled and ripped a shot from the left circle into the back of the net for her third goal of the year.

NU answered back at 4:20 of the opening frame, capitalizing moments after UConn killed off the game’s first power play with a Lucie Povova goal off a deflection in front. Northeastern then went ahead with a power play goal midway through the opening frame, when Coyne rocketed a blast from the circle past Chuli to give NU a 2-1 advantage.

A pair of Northeastern penalties in the same sequence gave UConn a 5-on-3 advantage two minutes later, and Connecticut used it to knot the contest again. Sarah MacDonnell (Quispamsis, New Brunswick) took aim with a shot from the side of the cage that was saved, before a Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) rebound bid led to Snodgrass punching home her team-best ninth of the season at 12:30.

Connecticut killed off a Northeastern power play to open the second frame, then went ahead at 5:45 of the second stanza. Brittany Berisoff (Kelowna, British Columbia) fed Fleming on a breakout streaking into the NU zone, where Fleming flew in alone and tucked a shot from the right side into the top left corner of the cage.

Early in the third period, Coyne struck again to tie the contest at 3-3 with an end-to-end rush before an unassisted goal at 3:34. The middle portion of the frame featured quality looks from both sides, and NU killed off a UConn power play that began at 12:57 to keep the contest tied. Northeastern had a late surge in the final three minutes of regulation, but Chuli stood tall and sent the contest to overtime.

With 90 seconds remaining in the extra frame, Chuli made a terrific glove save on a point-blank bid from Coyne. She then robbed Povova on the doorstep in the final minute, before Leah Lum (Richmond, British Columbia) took aim from the point with UConn’s best attempt in overtime which was snagged by Foss.

Up next, the Huskies close out their non-conference schedule with a match-up at No. 6 Harvard on Tuesday, Jan. 6. Puck drop from Cambridge, Mass. is set for 7 p.m.