Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Stumped by Last Second Goal

Sophomore Rebecca Lindblad scored the game-tying goal in the third period Saturday.
Jan. 7, 2017

Box Score

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – After coming back to tie it 2-2 in the third, the UConn women’s ice hockey team fell short in game-two Saturday after Merrimack scored with three seconds on the clock to claim a 3-2 victory at Lawler Rink.

The Huskies and the Warriors spilt the series 1-1 to give UConn a 10-8-3 overall record and an even 5-5-1 conference record while Merrimack improves to 8-14-2 overall and 4-11 in Hockey East games.

Freshman goaltender Morgan Fisher (Vernon, Conn.) earned her fourth collegiate start against the Warriors and totaled 30 saves.


Sophomore Kayla Mee (Stonewall, Manitoba) gave UConn and early 1-0 lead when she scored off a pass from sophomore Nora Maclaine (Easton, Mass.) 2:22 into the first period. Mee was also responsible for UConn’s first goal in game-one against the Warriors Friday.

In similar fashion to Friday’s game, Merrimack tied it up 1-1 in the first when Jackie Pieper cleaned up a rebound in front off a shot from the point.

There was not one penalty assessed in the first period, giving the Huskies and the Warriors 20 minutes of five-on-five play. Merrimack outshot UConn in the first period 15-7. Belanger stopped 14 of 15 pucks and the game remained tied 1-1 heading into the break.


Merrimack broke the tie 2:49 into the second when Paige Voight scored to put the Warriors up 2-1 early in the frame.

UConn only received one power play opportunity in the second period after Merrimack’s Pieper was called for hooking 7:14 in, but the Huskies could not tie it up.

The Huskies successfully killed off three penalties in the second period, two coming within the last 10 minutes, but still trailed 2-1 going into the second intermission.




UConn outshot Merrimack 16-7 in the third period alone. Sophomore Rebecca Lindblad (Winnetka, Ill.) tied the game up 2-2 after she knocked in a rebound from a shot from junior Marisa Maccario (Marblehead, Mass.) 7:46 into the third. Lindblad and Maccario both contributed to the equalizer in game-one against Merrimack.

With time ticking away, the game still tied 2-2, UConn received a late power play opportunity after Merrimack was called for hooking with 2:15 left in the game.

UConn was unable to capitalize on the power play and just seconds after Merrimack returned to full strength, with three seconds left on the clock, Merrimack’s Mikyla Grant-Mentis scored to secure a last-second 3-2 win.


The Huskies will host Boston University for a weekday matchup on Tuesday, Jan. 10 at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum.