Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Can't Hold Off Providence, Drops 5-2 Decision Saturday

Senior Kelly Harris scored the game-tying goal for UConn in the third period.
Jan. 14, 2017

STORRS, Conn. – After coming back to tie the game 2-2, the UConn women’s ice hockey team could not hold off Providence and ultimately fell to the Friars 5-2 on Saturday at the Freitas Ice Forum.

UConn is now 11-9-3 after Saturday’s loss and Providence improved an even 11-11-1 overall record. Both teams are an even 6-6-1 in Hockey East games.

Junior goalkeeper Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec) stopped 32 shots against Providence, 13 in the third period alone.


The Huskies got off to a slow start in the first period. UConn freshman Catherine Crawley (Washingtonville, N.Y.) was called for hooking 4:26 into the game to give Providence the first power play opportunity of the game.

PC took a 1-0 lead on the man-advantage after Christina Putigna tipped in a shot from the point.

UConn went up on the power play 16:23 into the first after PC’s Brooke Boquist was called for hooking, but the Huskies could not find an equalizer and the Friars took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.


UConn battled back in the second period. Sophomore Jaime Fox (Unionville, Ont.) knotted up the score 1-1 after she found the back of the net from the point on the power play.

The two UConn captains, junior Justine Fredette (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and senior Jessica Stott (Niverville, Manitoba), took credit for the assists on Fox’s goal.

As the clock ran down, the Huskies and Friars appeared to be tied going into the second break until PC’s Neve Van Pelt scored on the power play with 20 seconds on the clock to give Providence a 2-1 advantage going into the third.




UConn tied it up 2-2 with less than 10 minutes to play in the third again on the power play with a goal from senior Kelly Harris (Canton, Mich.).

Stott pick up her second assist of the game to finish with two points and freshman Leona Sim (Vancouver, B.C.) also earned credit for an assist on Harris’ goal.

Less than a minute later, Providence scored to take the lead and scored again one minute after that to claim a 4-2 lead with less than five minutes left up on the clock. The Friars sealed their win with an empty net goal with 2:58 left in the game to defeat the Huskies 5-2.


The Huskies head to Providence on Sunday, Jan. 15 to close out the series against the Friars at Schneider Arena. Puck-drop is at 2 p.m.