Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Upended 4-1 by Providence

Jan. 15, 2017

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The UConn women’s hockey team struggled against Providence in game-two of the home-and-home series on Sunday at Scheider Arena.

The Huskies drop to 11-10-3 and 6-7-1 in Hockey East games after going 0-2 against the Friars this weekend. Providence jumps to 12-11-1 and 7-6-1 in league games.

Freshman Morgan Fisher (Vernon, Conn,) made 21 stops against the Friars Sunday, including 10 in the second period alone. Junior Justine Fredette (Winnipeg, Manitoba) scored UConn’s only goal of the day halfway through the third period.


UConn and Providence were scoreless for the majority of the first period until PC snuck in a goal on the power play with 49 seconds left on the clock.

The Huskies outshot the Friars 11-6 in the first period, but went 0-2 on the power play. UConn successfully killed off an interference call on Fisher 7:24 in to keep the game scoreless.

Junior Leah Lum (Richmond, B.C.) took a seat for interference with 2:34 up on the clock. Providence scored with only 15 seconds left on the penalty to take a late 1-0 lead.

UConn went up on the power play, its third of the game, with just 38 seconds on the clock. The score remained 1-0 in favor of PC after the first, but UConn would start off the second with over a minute of five-on-four advantage.


Providence extended its lead halfway through the second period. UConn started off the second with 1:22 on the power play, but could not find the back of the net. Almost immediately after PC returned to full strength, junior Cydnee Cook (Winnipeg, Manitoba) was called for slashing, but the Huskies killed off the penalty unscathed.



UConn received another power play chance 8:23 into the second when PC was called for too many players on the ice, but the score remained 1-0 after the penalty was complete.

PC’s Brooke Boquist extended the Friars’ lead to 2-0 at 11:36 in the middle frame and they kept that lead going into the second intermission.


The Friars came out of the break and furthered their lead to three goals 27 seconds after the puck was dropped in the third to put the score at 3-0.

UConn finally got on the board 10:18 into the third on a delayed penalty call when Fredette cleaned up a rebound in front off a shot from the point from Cook, who was the extra-skater on the play.

UConn still went up on the power play after its first goal of the day, but could not grab a second. Approximately one minute after PC’s penalty was release, the Friars made it 4-1 with less than seven minutes to play, which eventually stood as the final score. PC outshot UConn 25-22 overall.


The Huskies welcome back Northeastern on Friday, Jan. 20 for the start of a home-and-home series. Puck-drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.