Skip to main content Skip to footer
Lindblad Nets Both in 2-1 Win at Maine Friday

Feb. 10, 2017

Box Score

ORONO, Maine – Two goals from sophomore Rebecca Lindblad (Winnetka, Ill.) bolstered the UConn women’s ice hockey team to a 2-1 victory at Maine on Friday at Alfond Arena. The Huskies and the Black Bears will return to Alfond on Saturday, Feb. 11 to close out the weekend series.

Friday’s win bumps the Huskies up to a winning 14-13-4 overall record and a 9-10-2 record in Hockey East play. Maine drops to 9-20-1 overall and 5-16-1 in conference matchups.

Junior goaltender Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec) backed the Huskies to victory with 26 saves in game one with the Black Bears.


UConn possessed a 1-0 lead after the first period after Lindblad tipped-in a shot from the point on the power play. The Huskies were 1-2 on the power play Friday, all of which came in the first period.

Lindblad notched her first of the day, third of the season, to put the Huskies up 1-0 just nine seconds into UConn’s power play after Maine was called for hooking 11:40 into the first. Sophomore Jamie Fox (Unionville, Ont.) and senior Jessica Stott (Niverville, Manitoba) took credit for the helpers.

Sophomore Nora Maclaine was called for tripping with 24 seconds left in the first period, Maine’s only power play opportunity in the first frame, which carried over into the start of the second, but did not result in a goal for the Black Bears. UConn outshot Maine 9-7 in the first period.


Maine came out on the attack in the second period, closing the gap and eventually taking an advantage in shots on goal. It took a little time, but the Black Bears evened the score 14:14 into the stanza.



Lindblad scored her second of the game to regain the lead 2-1 for UConn with just over two minutes to play in the second. In a single game, Lindblad doubled her goal total for this season, going from two to four.

Juniors Lindsay Roethke (Buffalo, Minn.) and Marisa Maccario (Marblehead, Mass.) picked up assists on Lindblad's second goal.

The Black Bears outshot the Huskies 11-7 in the second period to take an 18-16 edge in shots through two periods.


UConn held off Maine in the third period to solidify the score 2-1. The Black Bears received their only other power play opportunity late in the third period when sophomore Kayla Mee (Stonewall, Manitoba) was called for interference, but they were unable to even the score.

Maine went 0-2 on the power play Friday, but outshot UConn 27-22 overall, including a 9-6 advantage in the third period alone.


The Huskies and the Black Bears are back in action at Alfond Arena on Saturday, Feb. 11 for game two. Puck-drop is set for 2 p.m.