Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Shut Out At Northeastern, 3-0

Kayla Campero led UConn with six shots on goal

Feb. 15, 2014

Final Stats

BOSTON – The UConn women’s hockey team could not generate a goal and dropped a 3-0 contest to Northeastern on Saturday afternoon at Matthews Arena. With the loss, UConn falls to 9-20-2 on the year and 6-11-1 in Hockey East play, while Northeastern moves to 15-13-2 and 10-6-2 in league action.

Elaine Chuli (Waterford, Ontario) got the start in net for UConn and recorded 31 saves before being pulled after allowing two goals early in the third period. Sarah Moses (New Hamburg, Ontario) came on in relief and recorded nine saves. Chloe Desjardins stopped 21 shots for NU in the win.

Northeastern held a 43-21 advantage in shots on goal in the contest, and went 1-for-3 on the power play. UConn could not connect on four power play chances, but held a 28-22 advantage in the faceoff dot.

NU had a pair of grade-A chances seven minutes into the first period, but Chuli stopped point-blank bids from Claire Santostefano and Hayley Scamurra to keep the game scoreless. Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) made a rebound bid for UConn around the 13-minute mark moments after the Huskies killed off an NU power play, but was stuffed on the doorstep.

Michela Cava (Thunder Bay, Ontario) nearly got UConn on the board in the final four minutes of the first, using a nifty move on the side of the cage to gain space before being denied on the near post. The game stayed scoreless into the first intermission despite a 14-6 advantage in shots on goal for NU. Chuli stopped all 14 she faced in the period.

NU took a slashing penalty early in the second period, but UConn couldn’t muster a quality chance with the advantage. Chuli made another set of strong saves from right in front midway through the period, including a glove snare of a Santostefano blast. Paige Savage went end-to-end on a rush for NU with seven to play in the second, but her clean look was denied by the blocker of Chuli.



Cava blocked an NU shot and flew in alone in the final five minutes of the second, but an NU defenseman raced back to break up the play. Santostefano finally broke through for NU to give the Red and Black a 1-0 lead, banging in a loose puck at 17:55 of the second. NU took its 1-0 lead to the third period, despite 26 saves from Chuli to that point.

Northeastern opened the third period with 1:42 of power play,  and Chuli was tested immediately by a shot and ensuing rebound bid from Katie MacSorley. NU would not be denied, however, as Hayley Scamurra sent home a Kelly Wallace bid in the crease.

MacSorley tacked onto the lead moments later, blasting a slap shot from the high slot past Chuli to make it 3-0. Chris MacKenzie made the change in net to go with Moses with 17:42 remaining in the third, giving the senior her first game action since Jan. 2 at Princeton.

UConn appeared to get on the board midway through the third, but after a review it was ruled that Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) kicked the puck past Desjardins. UConn went on the power play with 2:08 remaining in regulation, but couldn’t generate anything and NU sealed the win.

UConn and Northeastern return to the ice tomorrow afternoon with a 2 p.m. puck drop in Boston.