Skip to main content Skip to footer
Cook Nets First Career Goal in 4-1 Loss to UNH Friday

Feb. 17, 2017

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. – The UConn women’s ice hockey team’s 1-0 lead was erased by New Hampshire in game one on Friday at the Freitas Ice Forum as the Wildcats walked away with a 4-1 victory over the Huskies.

Junior Cydnee Cook (Winnipeg, Manitoba) notched her first career goal to give UConn a 1-0 lead 4:57 into the first period. Cook skipped one past UNH goaltender, Hilary Cashin, from the point five minutes into the game. Freshman Catherine Crawley (Washingtonville, N.Y.) took credit for the assist, her sixth assist this season.

The Huskies drop to 14-15-4 and 9-12-2 heading into their final game of the regular season Saturday. With a Hockey East playoff spot secured, UConn will look to scrape together two points against UNH in game two.

UConn held on to its 1-0 lead through the whole first period and most of the second. UNH scored two unanswered goals late in the second period to take a 2-1 lead. Amy Schlagel scored first for the Wildcats to tie things up 1-1 with 5:44 to play in the period and Nicole Dunbar scored three minutes later on the power play to take a 2-1 lead into the intermission.

The Wildcats, now 12-17-2 and 10-11-2 in Hockey East games, went 3-4 on the power play, scoring one power play goal in the second and two in the third. UNH scored back-to-back at the start of the third stanza to take a commanding 4-1 lead with goals from leading scorers Jonna Curtis and Amy Schlagel.

UConn called timeout with 4:08 left up on the clock in the third. Junior goaltender Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec) who finished with 29 saves, stayed on the bench after the timeout, giving UConn a six-on-five advantage. UConn played four minutes with a one-skater advantage, but could not find the back of the net.




The Huskies and the Wildcats are back at it tomorrow, Feb. 18 for Senior Day at the Freitas Ice Forum. UConn’s three seniors, Kelly Harris, Lexi Lersch and Jessica Stott will be recognized prior to the 2 p.m. puck-drop.