Skip to main content Skip to footer
Six Huskies Tally In 6-2 Victory At Maine

Caitlin Hewes had a goal and two assists in the victory
Feb. 22, 2015

Final Stats

ORONO, Maine – Six Huskies lit the lamp in the best offensive performance of the season for the UConn women’s hockey team as UConn defeated Maine by a score of 6-2 on Sunday afternoon at Alfond Arena. The Huskies sweep of the weekend series improves them to 9-17-8 overall and sets them at 5-11-5 in Hockey East play, good for a fifth place finish in the league. The Black Bears drop to 10-18-3 overall and 9-11-1 in WHEA action and finish fourth in the league.

With the finish, UConn and Maine will square off again next weekend in a Hockey East quarterfinal series in Orono. The series will begin on Friday, Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. before a 4 p.m. start on Saturday, Feb. 28 and if necessary another 4 p.m. puck drop on Sunday, March 1.



UConn took a 3-0 lead after the first period and never looked back, out-shooting Maine 27-24 on the day. Rebecca Fleming (Newton, Mass.), Caitilin Hewes (Stillwater, Minn.) Theresa Knutson (Onalaska, Wis.), Sarah MacDonnell (Quispamsis, New Brunswick), Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) and Jessica Stott (Niverville, Manitoba) all scored for the Huskies and nine skaters recorded a point in the victory. Leah Lum (Richmond, British Columbia) dished out three assists for her first career playmaker.

In goal, Elaine Chuli (Waterford, Ontario) made 22 saves to pick up the win for the second-straight day. Mariah Fujimagari and Natalie Robinson combined to stop 21 shots for the Black Bears. UConn connected on three of its five power play opportunities, while Maine clicked at a 1-for-3 rate on the advantage.

After a quiet first half of the opening frame, MacDonnell got the scoring started with a power play goal at 10:04. Hewes followed with another extra-man strike at 12:02 of the stanza, before Knutson tallied an unassisted goal barely a minute later at 13:11 to give the Huskies a three-goal lead at the first intermission.

Snodgrass connected with Hewes, who finished with a 1-2-3 scoring line, early in the second period to put the Huskies up four. After Maine got on the board with an Emilie Brigham goal at 12:36, Fleming potted UConn’s third power play goal of the contest at 19:12 of the frame.

Jillian Langtry scored for Maine at 14:47 of the third to cut the lead back to three at 5-2, before Stott put an exclamation point on the UConn win with her first goal of the year at 18:19 of the final period. The six-goal output for the Huskies is their highest of the season.

UConn and Maine are back on the ice for Hockey East quarterfinals next weekend. The fifth-seeded Huskies and fourth-seeded Black Bears skate after the Huskies took the regular season series, 2-0-1.