Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Swept by Northeastern in Overtime Loss Saturday

Feb. 25, 2017

Box Score

BOSTON – UConn did not go quietly on Saturday in game two of the quarterfinal series with Northeastern. Sophomore Nora Maclaine scored her first goal of the season to even things up 2-2, but NU swept the series with a 3-2 victory in overtime.

Connecticut concludes it 2016-17 stint with a 14-18-4 overall record. Northeastern advances to the WHEA semifinals and improves to 21-11-3 heading into the next round.

UConn came out with a little more pizzazz than it did in game one, playing NU to an even 1-1 score after the first. 

Northeastern claimed the first lead 4:55 into the game after Kasidy Anderson scored 18 seconds into an NU power play from the top of the face-off circle.

Junior Theresa Knutson (Onalaska, Wis.) knotted up the score just over two minutes later, her second goal of the series. Sophomore Jaime Fox (Unionville, Ont.) and junior captain Justine Fredette (Winnipeg, Manitoba) each received a nod for a helper.

The rival Huskies played over 12 minutes of scoreless play to close out the first period. Shots were near even 12-10 in favor of NU in the opening frame.

NU regained a one-goal lead early in the second period when Heather Mottau scored one second after an NU penalty was released, put the enemy Huskies ahead 2-1 less than five minutes into the second stanza.

Maclaine kept the Huskies in it, scoring her first goal of the season to even up the score again 2-2 with less than four minutes to play in second.

UConn almost took its first lead of the weekend with 31 seconds up on the clock in the second after freshman Briana Colangelo (Whitby, Ont.) scored on a wrap-around. After a lengthy official review, her goal was waved off, because NU goaltender Brittany Bugalski’s helmet came off before the puck crossed the goal line.



UConn and Northeastern battled it out in the third period, but neither team could find a go-ahead goal and the game went into overtime. Shots were again near even in the third period 9-8 Northeastern.

Just over five minutes into the full-length overtime period, Northeastern’s Denisa Krizova ended it with the golden goal to advance the NU Huskies to semifinals.

Junior goaltender Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec) backed to Huskies through regulation and into overtime, racking up 34 saves for a second-straight game to finish with a combined 68 saves against Northeastern in the quarterfinals.