Skip to main content Skip to footer
Minnesota Duluth Downs UConn, 7-0

Michela Cava tied for the team-high with four shots on goal

Oct. 4, 2013

Final Stats

DULUTH, Minn. – Minnesota Duluth (1-0-0) scored 13 seconds into the contest and never looked back, topping the UConn women’s hockey team (0-2-0) by a score of 7-0 on Friday night at Amsoil Arena.

Elaine Chuli (Waterford, Ontario) got the start in net for UConn and was pressured all night long, allowing six goals but picking up a career-high 45 saves. She was relieved midway through the third period by Sarah Moses (New Hamburg, Ontario), who stopped seven shots and allowed one goal. Sophomores Michela Cava (Thunder Bay, Ontario) and Leah Buress (Windsor, Ontario) and junior Rachel Farrel (Cheshire, Conn.) led UConn with four shots on goal apiece. For the game, the Huskies were out-shot 59-22, and went 0/6 on the power play in the setback.

The Bulldogs seven goals came from six different skaters, while Kayla Black saved all 22 shots she faced to record the shutout. UMD was able to notch a pair of shorthanded goals, but went 0/3 on the power play.

UMD got the scoring started almost instantly, as Jenna McParland took a feed off the opening faceoff from Ashleigh Brykaliuk and zoomed in on Chuli to beat the keeper pad side 13 seconds into the contest.

UConn went on the power play briefly at 3:38 of the first, but committed a penalty with the extra attacker that allowed the Bulldogs to get on an extra man. That was Zoe Hickel, who took a feed from McParland and beat Chuli to make it 2-0 UMD.

The Huskies had a chance eight minutes into the first, but a Cava shot was saved before Black cleared the rebound. Less than a minute later Farrel nearly got UConn on the board, forcing a turnover near center ice to create a one-on-one opportunity that Black snagged.



Megahan Huertas made it 3-0 Minnesota Duluth, blasting a shot that snuck five-hole on Chuli at 11:09 of the first, with assists from Tea Villila and Brienna Gillanders. The Bulldogs took that lead to the first intermission, outshooting the Huskies 22-7 in the opening frame.

Farrel took a two minute minor for checking less than a minute into the second period, but the Huskies were able to kill of the power play. Cava took a hooking minor seconds after Farrel’s penalty ended, but again the Huskies pulled off a successful kill.

UConn then took its turn on the power play, as UMD’s Lara Stalder went off for hooking 7:54 in the second. The Bulldogs took another infraction 90 seconds into their first, giving the Huskies a brief 5-on-3 look. However, Stalder returned from her penalty and took a Hickel feed to score shorthanded and give the Bulldogs a 4-0 lead 11:10 into the second.

Huertas went off for tripping with 4:20 remaining in the second, and Cava and Caitlin Hewes (Stillwater, Minn.) each generated some chances on the power play but weren’t able to beat Black.  The score remained 4-0 going into the second intermission.

McParland picked up another early-frame goal in the third, scoring off a deflection just 37 seconds into the third to make it 5-0 UMD.  Jordan Krause tacked on number six for UMD a few minutes later, with assists from Brykaliuk and Huertas.

After making her 45th save, Moses came on in relief of Chuli for the final 11 minutes of the contest. Bailey Wright made it 7-0 a few minutes later, before Stalder went off for interference at 12:28 of the third. The Huskies again couldn’t convert with the extra man, with Buress unable to convert a good chance in front.

UConn and Minnesota Duluth will be right back at it tomorrow night, concluding their two-game set. Puck drop is again set for 7 p.m. (ET).