Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Blanked 1-0 At Union

Annie Belanger stopped 20-of-21 shots in her collegiate debut
Oct. 11, 2014 Final Stats

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – Despite a 28-11 shot advantage over the final two periods, the UConn women’s hockey team dropped a 1-0 decision at Union on Saturday afternoon at Messa Rink.The loss drops UConn to 1-3-1 on the season, while Union picks up its first win to improve to 1-3-0.

Overall on the day, the Huskies rebounded from a rocky first period to out-shoot the Dutchwomen, 33-21 for the contest. Union got a first period goal and held on through the final two frames despite intense UConn pressure. Leah Lum (Richmond, British Columbia) had a team-high six shots for the Huskies, and Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) added five.



Freshman Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec) got the nod in goal for UConn and made 20 saves on 21 shots her in collegiate debut. For Union, Shenae Lundberg turned aside all 33 shots she faced to pick up the shutout.

The Huskies created a pair of chances about eight minutes in to the first frame, with Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) and Madison Badeau (Courtice, Ontario) each snapping off shots from the right slot that were saved by Lundberg. The Dutchwomen answered with the game’s first goal, coming at 9:47 of the opening stanza. After a scrum in front, Christine Valente came away with the marker to put Union ahead, 1-0.

The two sides traded penalties in the final third of the opening period, but neither team capitalized on their respective power play chance and Union took its early lead to the first intermission. Belanger made nine saves in the opening frame.

UConn dominated possession for the majority of the second period, but couldn’t cash in despite a 12-5 advantage in shots during the stanza. The Huskies had a late chance when Theresa Knutson (Onalaska, Wis.) fed Sarah MacDonnell (Quispamsis, New Brunswick) breaking into the Union zone on the rush, but MacDonnell’s shot was saved to keep Union up by one.

The Huskies went on the power play 5:42 into the third period and nearly got on the board, but Lundberg stood tall to stop a pair of bids from Knutson and another for Lum. UConn couldn’t connect on another power play midway through the period, and despite its heavy advantage in shots over the final two periods, couldn’t scratch across a goal.

UConn is back in New York next weekend for a pair of contests at Colgate on Oct. 18 and at Syracuse on Oct. 19. Puck drop from Colgate on the 18th is set for 2 p.m.