Skip to main content Skip to footer
Harris Tallies In 4-1 Setback At Rensselaer

Kelly Harris scored a third period power play goal for the Huskies
Oct. 25, 2014

Final Stats

TROY, N.Y. – Kelly Harris scored her second goal of the season, but the UConn women’s hockey team was felled by a three-goal second period for Rensselaer in a 4-1 setback on Saturday afternoon at Houston Field House. The loss drops the Huskies to 2-4-2 on the year, while the Engineers improve to 1-4-1.

The goal for Harris (Canton, Mich.) came on the power play midway through the third period, as UConn tried to cut into a late three-goal deficit. The Engineers were powered by a pair of power play goals and went 2-for-10 on the man advantage. The Huskies connected on one of their three power play chances, and were out-shot 29-27 overall. Elaine Chuli (Waterford, Ontario) made 25 saves for UConn, and Kelly O’Brien stopped 26 shots for RPI.



UConn killed a pair of penalties in the first half of the opening period, with the second leading to a grade-A chance for the Huskies when Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) broke in on goal after being released from the sin bin for a shot that was saved.

RPI went to the power play for the third time with less than two minutes to play in the first period, and the opening stanza ended scoreless. UConn completed the kill to start the second period, but RPI went to the man-advantage again moments later. Alexa Gruschow used the fourth power play of the contest to get RPI on the board, ripping a blast from the right circle past Chuli to give the Engineers a 1-0 lead.

The Engineers struck again at the 5:48 mark of the second period, going on yet another power play that led to a Kathryn Schilter goal on a shot from the point. After O’Brien stoned a pair of quality looks for UConn from Harris and Leah Lum (Richmond, British Columbia,) Gruschow notched her second of the game to give RPI a 3-0 lead at the 12:23 mark of the second.

UConn got on the board at 9:50 of the third period, connecting on its second power play opportunity of the period. Caitlin Hewes (Stillwater, Minn.) slid a pass to Harris in the right circle, who glided into the slot and ripped a shot past O’Brien to cut the lead to two.

Chris MacKenzie used UConn’s timeout with 2:06 remaining down 3-1, and pulled Chuli with 1:18 to play. The Engineers capitalized on the empty net with a Taylor Mahoney goal 11 seconds later to ice the contest.

The Huskies and Engineers conclude their weekend series tomorrow with a 2 p.m. puck drop.