Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Ties At RPI, 2-2

Kelly Harris scored on the power play in the draw
Oct. 26, 2014

Final Stats

TROY, N.Y. – Kelly Harris scored her second goal of the weekend for the UConn women’s hockey team in a 2-2 tie at Rensselaer on Sunday afternoon at Houston Field House. The draw moves the Huskies to 2-4-3 on the season, while the Engineers go to 1-4-2 in 2014-15.

Harris (Canton, Mich.) picked up her second power play goal in as many days to give UConn a 2-1 lead in the second period, but RPI responded to force the eventual tie. UConn took an early lead when Sarah MacDonnell (Quispamsis, New Brunswick) scored a shorthanded goal in the first period, and overall went 7-for-7 on the penalty kill.



In goal, Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec) made her third start and turned aside 30 shots for the Huskies, who were out-shot 32-20 overall. Brianna Piper made 18 saves for the Engineers.

After going on a penalty kill early in the first period, UConn’s special teams came up big with a shorthanded tally. A blocked shot led to an odd-man rush for Leah Buress (Windsor, Ontario) and MacDonnell, breaking in towards goal. Buress held until the opportune time, before sliding a pass to MacDonnell to tap home her fourth goal of the season and give the Huskies a 1-0 lead at 4:23 of the first.

The Engineers leveled the score about five minutes later, when Shayna Tomlinson capitalized on a scramble in front to pull RPI even at 1-1 midway through the first period. The score stayed there heading into the first intermission, thanks in part to 10 saves from Belanger in the opening stanza.

The Huskies killed off a 5-on-3 power play for the Engineers midway through the second period to keep the contest tied. Later in the period, UConn took its turn on the power play and regained the lead. During a 4-on-3 after a series of infraction, Jessica Stott (Niverville, Manitoba) and Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) cycled the puck to Harris in the right circle for a shot that beat Piper and gave UConn a 2-1 lead.

The one-goal lead held until early in the third period, when the Engineers got a rebound goal from Lauren Horwood at 6:39 to tie the contest at 2-all. Neither team could find another goal over the final portion of the third, and UConn went to overtime for the third time this year.

Neither team could generate much of a chance during the extra frame, with the Huskies killing off RPI’s seventh power play of the day in the final moments of overtime to seal the tie.

Up next, the Huskies return home for the first time since Sept. 27 to open conference play against the Maine Black Bears. Puck drop from Freitas Ice Forum on Friday, Oct. 31 is set for 7 p.m.