Skip to main content Skip to footer
Four-Goal Third Leads UConn To Tie At Maine

Michela Cava scored a pair of power play goals to spark UConn's comeback

Nov. 3, 2013

Final Stats

ORONO, Maine - The UConn women's ice hockey team (3-5-1, 0-1-1 WHEA) exploded for four goals in final ten minutes of the third period to erase a pair of three-goal deficits and battle back to force a 4-4 tie with Maine (0-5-3, 0-1-2 WHEA) on Sunday afternoon at Alfond Arena.

Michela Cava (Thunder Bay, Ontario) scored her first two goal of the season for Connecticut, both on the power play, to charge the Huskies in the comeback bid.  Captain Erin Burns (Listowel, Ontario) also scored her first goal of the year, and her first as a Husky, while Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) picked up an extra attacker tally in the waning moments of regulation to force overtime before the eventual tie. Sarah MacDonnell (Quispamsis, Ontario) assisted on a pair of the UConn goals to join Cava with a multi-point game, and Elaine Chuli (Waterford, Ontario) got the nod in goal and made 33 saves.

Maine got the scoring started 40 seconds into the first period, with Jennifor More scoring her first goal of the year with assists to Jillian Langtry and Brianne Kilgour. The Black Bears took their lead to the game's first intermission, then extended it to 3-0 in the second with goals from Audra Richards and Katy Massey to take a commanding lead into the third period.

After an interference call on Maine to midway through the third period, Cava got on the board at 10:57 with a power play tally, taking assists from Kelly Harris (Canton, Mich.) and Leah Buress (Windsor, Ontario). The assist for Harris was the freshman's first career point.



Maine got it back to a three-goal game at 14:07 of the final frame when Abbey Cook scored to make it 4-1, but the Huskies stayed resilient. Less than a minute later, Burns connected on her first goal in blue and white thanks to a MacDonnell assist to make it 4-2, before Cava connected again on the power play at 17:29 with assists to Kiana Nauheim (Fairbanks, Alaska) and MacDonnell to make it a one goal game.

Late in the third looking for the tie, UConn pulled Chuli to gain an extra attacker. The move paid off, as Campero continued her trend of big late-game goals and powered in a shot off an Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) assist to tie the contest with 45 seconds to play and force overtime. Campero also has two overtime game-winners this year. Neither team was able to convert in the extra period, giving UConn its first tie of the season.

UConn only has a short break before a mid-week trip to Boston University on Wednesday, Nov. 6. The Huskies and the reigning national runner-up Terriers square off at Walter Brown Arena at 7 p.m. on Wednesday.