Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Pulls Out 3-1 Win at Brown

Junior Leah Lum has scored a power play goal in the last three consecutive games.
Nov. 8, 2016

Final Stats

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – In its third game in four days, the UConn women’s ice hockey team pulled out a 3-1 win at Brown Tuesday at the Meehan Auditorium. Junior Leah Lum (Richmond, B.C.) scored a power play goal for a third consecutive game Tuesday, netting the game-winner on a 5-on-4 with six minutes left in the third period.

The Huskies, who are riding a three-game win streak, improve to 7-4-1 overall while the Bears drop to 3-4 this season. UConn only has one non-conference game left on its 2016-17 schedule with Yale at the 2016 Nutmeg Classic. The Huskies could potentially face an additional non-conference opponent, pending on who they meet in the second game of the Nutmeg Classic tournament.


UConn came out hot on the offense with back-to-back shots on goal from junior Theresa Knutson (Onalaska, Wis.), but both were saved by Brown goaltender, Julianne Landry.

Freshman Morgan Fisher (Vernon, Conn.), who made her third start of the season Tuesday, produced a big stop two minutes into the game. Brown picked up the rebound with a wide open UConn net, but junior Cydnee Cook (Winnipeg, Manitoba) made the diving save to keep the score tied at zero.

The Huskies received the first power play opportunity of the game when Brown’s Cara Najjar was called for tripping. Despite having four shot during the two minute man-advantage, one of which hit off the post, UConn was unable to score.

UConn outshot Brown 11-7 in the first period, but neither team could put the puck away and the score remained 0-0 going into the first break.




After UConn killed off its first penalty of the game 6:42 into the second, freshman Leona Sim (Vancouver, B.C.) found the back of the net 9:01 into the frame, her third goal this season, to put the Huskies up 1-0. Cook and fellow junior Lindsay Roethke (Buffalo, Minn.) each took credit for an assist on the play.

UConn had another power play chance towards the end of the period, but could not capitalize on the 5-on-4, leaving the score at 1-0.

Brown outshot UConn 7-1 in the last five minutes of the second period, but all seven were saved by Fisher. The Huskies held a 25-20 edge on shots through two periods.


The Bears tied the score up 1:44 into the third period with a goal from Cynthia Kyin to make it 1-1 with the majority of period left to play.

Brown went to the penalty box for hooking with less than 10 minutes to play in third, giving UConn its third power play of the game.

Lum, who has score a power play goal in the last three consecutive games, connected on the power play to break the tie and give UConn a late 2-1 lead. Knutson and freshman Briana Colangelo (Whitby, Ont.) had the game-winning assists.

The Bear pulled their goalie with 1:28 up on the clock in efforts to tie the game up again, but Knutson grabbed an empty net goal with just over 30 seconds left to play to seal it 3-1 in favor of the Huskies. Lum and Colangelo picked up assists on the empty-netter.

UConn outshot Brown 39-29 through three periods of play.


After a weekend off, the Huskies return home to the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum on Friday, Nov. 18 when they host Maine. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m.