Skip to main content Skip to footer
Cava's Late Tally Leads UConn to 1-1 Draw At Brown

Sarah Moses stopped 26-of-27 shots for UConn

Nov. 19, 2013

Final Stats

PROVIDENCE – Michela Cava (Thunder Bay, Ontario) scored with less than two minutes to go in regulation and Sarah Moses (New Hamburg, Ontario) made 26 saves to help the UConn women’s hockey team (4-6-2) to a 1-1 draw at Brown (1-6-2) on Tuesday night at Meehan Auditorium.

Cava’s tally came off assists from Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) and Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) late in regulation after Brown took a 1-0 lead in the second period. The Huskies outshot the Bears 35-27 on the day, but were unable to convert on five power play chances. UConn did hold Brown scoreless on two power play attempts, improving on its second-in-the-nation penalty kill.

Aubree Moore made 34 saves for Brown, while Moses turned aside 26 shots for UConn. Moore moves 1-6-2 on the year, and Moses now stands at 2-3-1.

UConn had the best chance of the early stages of the first period, when Cava fed Campero in front of the net about six minutes into the stanza. Campero tried to stuff a shot inside the near post, but Moore was there to cover up and keep it scoreless. Snodgrass nearly got UConn on the board midway through the period, breaking free before firing a shot that nicked the post.

Brown’s best chance of the frame came 13 minutes in, when Jessica Hoyle redirected a shot from the blue line, but Moses was in position to make the snag. Sarah Robson went off for Brown for a slash at 17:01, but the Huskies were unable to convert with the advantage. The game went to the first intermission scoreless, thanks in part to Moses making 11 saves in the opening frame.

Rachel Farrel (Cheshire, Conn.) had two good looks turned aside early in the second, the last one coming at the 1:48 mark of the period. The Huskies went back on the power play 3:57 into the second, but the Bears again killed off the advantage. Brown finally broke the deadlock moments after the kill, gaining a two-on-one break that saw Hoyle feed Robson in front and sneak a shot past Moses to make it 1-0 Bears.



The teams traded power play chances as the second period dwindled down, but neither was able to convert. The Bears took another penalty late in the second period, but UConn couldn’t convert before time expired and its man advantage carried into the second intermission. The Huskies out-shot the Bears 10-4 in the second period but were unable to light the lamp.

UConn opened the third period on the power play, but couldn’t find the equalizer with an extra man. Snodgrass nearly found it at 16:46, earning a breakaway but flicking her shot into the chest of Moore. Brown killed off another penalty after Kelly Kittredge was called for interference at 15:01, nearly adding a shorthanded goal to boot if not for a big-time Moses save.

Brown made a series of bids to extend its lead, but Moses stood tall on each opportunity, none bigger than a glove save on an Ariana Rucker shot at 11:59. Moore stoned back-to-back chances minutes later, first turning aside a Campero breakaway then gloving a Stephanie Raitbhy (New London, Ontario) shot in the slot.  The Bears went on the power play at 14:55 after UConn was called for interference, but the Huskies killed off their 25th straight power play to keep it a one-goal game.

UConn finally found its equalizer at the 18:22 mark of the third. Campero fed Snodgrass who flew into the Brown zone and fired a shot on goal. Her shot was saved, but Cava was there to bang home the rebound and tie the contest at 1-1. Neither team generated a chance over the final 90 seconds of regulation and the game went to overtime.

Farrel had a chance for UConn 1:36 into the extra period, but her snap shot was corralled by Moore. Brown appeared to have a two-on-one chance with a touch under two minutes remaining, but captain Erin Burns (Listowel, Ontario) alertly sprawled to the ice and broke up a centering pass attempt. UConn used its timeout with a minute to play in overtime, but the Huskies couldn’t generate another chance and the game ended in a draw.

Up next, UConn gears up for a home-and-home weekend series with No. 7 Boston College. The Huskies visit Chestnut Hill on Saturday, Nov. 23 before the Eagles travel to Storrs on Sunday, Nov. 24. Both Hockey East games will begin at 2 p.m.