Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Falls At No. 7 Boston College, 6-2

Sarah MacDonnell had two points (1-1-2) for UConn in the setback

Nov. 23, 2013

Final Stats

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The UConn women’s hockey team (4-7-2, 1-3-1 WHEA) got goals from Sarah MacDonnell  and Leah Buress along with 48 saves from Elaine Chuli, but it wasn’t enough as it fell to No. 7 Boston College (10-3-1, 6-1-0 WHEA) by a score of 6-2 on Saturday afternoon at Conte Forum.

The goal for MacDonnell (Quispamsis, New Brunswick) was her team-high fifth tally of the season and came off an assist from Rachel Farrel (Cheshire, Conn.). Buress (Windsor, Ontario)’ strike came on the power play with assists to MacDonnell and Michela Cava (Thunder Bay, Ontario). For Chuli (Waterford, Ontario), the 48 saves mark a new career-high, eclipsing the 45 she tallied at No. 10 Minnesota Duluth on Oct. 4.

Boston College got two goals apiece from Kristyn Capizzano and Emily Field, while Corinne Boyles made 16 saves for the Eagles. BC out-shot UConn 54-18 on the day, and converted on 2-of-3 power plays. UConn was 1-for-2 with the man advantage.

The Eagles came out fast in the first frame, forcing a number of early saves from Chuli to keep it a scoreless affair. About seven minutes in, UConn had a pair of big-time chances stuffed by Boyles, first a snap shot from Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) before Farrel walked in and fired a backhanded attempt that the BC netminder covered up.

With the game still scoreless, Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) was called for checking at 17:45 of the first. BC used the advantage to finally break the tie, with Kristyn Capizzano taking advantage of some traffic in front and banging home her first goal of the year at 19:27. The goal snapped a streak of 25 consecutive penalty kills for the Huskies, and allowed BC to take a 1-0 lead into the first intermission. Chuli made 19 saves for UConn in the opening stanza.



Jackie Young tacked onto the Eagle lead early in the second period, ripping a shot from the blue line at 4:16 that found its way through traffic in front of the net and trickled past Chuli. UConn answered shortly after, however. After Farrel forced a turnover near the center, she found herself on a two-on-one break. The center slid a perfect pass to a waiting MacDonnell, who wound up and one-time a blast into the open net to pull the Huskies within one at 2-1.

The Huskies started to generate consistent pressure in the latter stages of the second period, with Boyle having to be sharp to turn aside a pair of Jessica Stott (Niverville, Manitoba) rips from the blue line and their ensuing rebound chances. BC responded at 18:00 of the period, when Dana Trivigno went the length of the ice and beat multiple UConn defenders to net an unassisted strike and put the Eagles up 3-1. Cava made a bid to get the Huskies back within one, but her blast was corralled by Boyles in the final seconds of the period and the Eagles took a 3-1 lead to the second intermission.

BC struck again in the opening minutes of the third period, with Capizzano potting her second of the day to make it a 4-1 Eagle advantage. UConn was able to respond, however, with Buress capitalizing on a BC penalty that came at 8:43. Taking feeds from Cava and MacDonnell, Buress positioned herself perfectly on the side of the BC cage and rattled home a shot inside the near post.

However, the Eagles came right back to make it 5-2, with Emily Field gathering a rebound and blasting it past Chuli. Field tacked on another, again recovering from a rebound, this time her own, and punching it past Chuli to put the Eagles up 6-2. That would be the final score, as neither team got more than a glancing look the remainder of the third.

The Huskies and Eagles return to the ice tomorrow when BC visits Storrs to close out the home-and-home WHEA series. Puck drop at Freitas Ice Forum is set for 2 p.m.