Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Record 2-2 Tie with No. 10 Providence

UConn picks up sixth tie in last eight games (PC: Steve Slade).
Dec. 1, 2017

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – The UConn women’s ice hockey team fought back from a one-goal deficit in the third period on Friday night to earn a 2-2 tie with No. 10 Providence at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum.

For the Huskies (4-5-7, 0-4-4 WHEA), it is their sixth tie in the last eight games – dating back to a scoreless tie with RPI on Nov. 4. Junior Jaime Fox scored the equalizer at 11:27 in the third period, which was dominated by UConn (16-6 shots).

Sophomore Briana Colangelo helped the Huskies get off to a good start against the nationally-ranked Friars (9-5-4, 6-1-2 WHEA), tallying her fifth goal of the season at 2:30 in the first period.

“This is where women’s hockey is going. There is a lot of parity, a lot of good teams, a lot of well-coached teams,” said head coach Chris MacKenzie. “You’re going to see more (ties) and it’s great for our sport. It shows you that every night, there will be a battle.”

Providence outshot UConn, 27-24, but the Huskies held a 20-9 edge in shots during the third period and overtime. Neither team capitalized on power plays, as the Huskies had three penalty kills to the Friars’ one.

“Any time we play Providence, it’s a physical game, so we were ready for that. The refs really let them play,” said MacKenzie. “I liked the way we were playing in the first period; it’s just the second period I’d like to scratch.”

The Huskies didn’t wait long to hit the scoreboard, as freshman Natalie Snodgrass picked up her team-leading 17th point of the season when she passed to Colangelo on the far side of Providence’s net for her tally less than three minutes into the game.

Despite being outshot 8-2 in the period, UConn held momentum at the first intermission. Providence quickly struck back in the second with the first of two goals on the night from Brooke Boquist at 1:44. The Friars took the lead at 16:21 when Boquist tallied her second.

When the third period began, it was all UConn, though. Senior Leah Lum, who had a team-high five shots, had a breakaway chance that was saved by Providence goalie Madison Myers at the 13-minute mark.

Just minutes later, sophomore Catherine Crawley made a pass from behind the net that a charging Fox snagged and pocketed in the net at 11:27 – tying the game and eventually sending it to overtime.

“The last few games we haven’t done that well in the third and coming off a flat second period, what we talked about all week was being good in the third and rising to the challenge,” said MacKenzie. “I thought the team did that.”

Fisher kept the Friars honest in the extra period, making three saves to keep the game tied. UConn managed four shots, but could not record the game-winner – improving to 1-1-7 in overtime contests this season.

UConn gets a rematch with No. 10 Providence on Saturday night at Schneider Arena, with puck drop scheduled for 7 p.m.