Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Ousts BU 2-1 Saturday

Dec. 3, 2016

Box Score

BOSTON – The UConn women’s hockey team defeated Boston University for the first time since the 2009-10 season with a 2-1 victory on the road Saturday at Walter Brown Arena to close out its 2016 schedule.

After splitting the series with BU 1-1, the Huskies conclude 2016 with a 9-6-3 overall record and a 4-3-1 Hockey East slate. The Terriers dropped to 11-6-1 overall and 7-6-1 in WHEA games after Saturday’s contest.


The Huskies and the Terriers were fairly evenly matched in the first period with BU holding an 8-6 edge on shots after the first. BU opened on the offense, but its first shot on goal was gloved down by junior goaltender Annie Belanger (Sherbrooke, Quebec).

Sophomore Theresa Knutson (Onalaska, Wis.) answered with two quick shots for the Huskies, but both were knocked away by BU goaltender, Victoria Hanson. UConn received the first power play chance of the game 11:05 into the first, but couldn’t capitalize.

Less than 30 seconds after BU returned to full strength, sophomore Jaime Fox (Unionville, Ont.) took a seat after a holding call, but UConn killed it off and both the Huskies and the Terriers were 0-1 on the power play.

UConn took a late 1-0 lead 17:37 into the first period on its second power play opportunity of the game. The play initiated with senior Jessica Stott (Niverville, Manitoba) just inside the blue line. Stott passed the puck over to Fox who fired a shot on net where senior Kelly Harris (Canton, Mich.) tipped it up over Hanson into the net for her second goal of the season.



The Huskies successfully killed off another penalty to close out the first period, leaving UConn with a 1-0 lead over BU heading into the first intermission.  BU was 0-2 on the power play in the first while UConn was 1-2.


Junior Madison Badeau (Courtice, Ont.) received a five-minute major for boarding 1:23 into the second. BU tied the game up 1-1 with a power play goal from Sammy Davis, 3:14 into five-minute major, 4:37 into the period.

With 1:46 left in Badeau’s major, junior Marisa Maccario (Marblehead, Mass.) reclaimed the lead for UConn less than a minute after BU tied it up when she scored a short-handed goal, her first goal of the season, to put the Huskies up 2-1. Junior Lindsay Roethke (Buffalo, Minn.) took credit on the assist.

 UConn received one other power play chance in the second, but could only get one shot off from junior Kayla Mee (Stonewall, Manitoba).

The Terriers earned two more power play chances late in the second, but could not find a second equalizer. Although BU led UConn in shots 22-14 after the second period, UConn had an impressive showing of blocked-shots.

UConn led BU in blocked shots 8-3 after the first period and 15-3 after the second period.


The Huskies held BU scoreless in the third period to claim the 2-1 win in the end. UConn and BU were evenly matched in shots 29-25 in favor of the Terriers.

UConn killed off a penalty at the start of the third period that carried over from the second. The Huskies received an extended power play chance of their own when BU was called for back-to-back to penalties at 10:00 and 11:11 in the third.

The Huskies could not find the back of the net and maintained just a one-goal lead with less than seven minutes to play in the third period.

Harris was sent to the box with less than five minutes to go in the game and BU pulled its goalie to take a 6-on-4 edge and try to tie it up. UConn killed off a sixth penalty unscathed to finish on top 2-1 in the end.


After a month-long hiatus, the Huskies will return from winter break on January 2, 2017 when they will host Northeastern for a 7 p.m. puck drop at the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs.