Five-Goal Run Falls Short in 17-10 Lacrosse Loss at Fairfield



    March 3, 2009

    Box Score

    FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The University of Connecticut lacrosse team (0-3) ended its 17-10 loss at Fairfield with a five-goal scoring run. For the second-consecutive game a rookie led the team in scoring, this time Kiersten Tupper (Camilius, N.Y.) finished the game with four points, scoring one goal and assisting three others.

    Fairfield (2-1) jumped out to a 2-0 lead after a pair of goals early in the first half and proceeded to extend the lead (6-0) with a scoring run that lasted until Kim McGinty (Huntington, N.Y.) scored twice. Her first came at 10:23 with an assist from M.E. Lapham (Cazenovia, N.Y.) and the second with an assist from Tupper hit the back of the net at 7:49. Amanda Pollock (Liverpool, N.Y.) cut the deficit in half with the third UConn goal.

    The Stags rattled off four-straight goals, including a pair from Kristen Coleman to end the first half with a 10-3 lead.

    Coleman started the scoring in the second half to cap of a hat trick effort. Anna Wallingford (Littleton, Colo.) took over netminding duties for the Huskies with visitors trailing by 15-3. Katie Devaney (Fayetteville, N.Y.) ended the Stag scoring spree with her first of the season. Tupper had the assist on Devaney's mark, scoring her own just two and half minutes later. Fairfield maintained a 16-5 edge with 8:10 to play.

    Whitney Michele (East Rochester, N.Y.) and Lauren Gunning (Hunt Valley, Md) added to the UConn tally with each scoring a goal in the final four minutes of play. It was Michele's fourth of the season while it was Gunning's first of the year.



    Gunning followed quickly, a mere 15 seconds later, with her second of the season as part of three UConn goals scored in less than a minute.

    Lauren Duffy (Madison, Conn.) and Michele contributed to the run while Gunning recorded three points in less than a minute after assisting Michele's second of the game.

    Moulton (0-3) finished the game with eight saves, allowing 14 goals in 44:35 played. In her first action of the season, Wallingford made two saves and allowed three goals in the final 15:25 of the game.

    The Huskies play their first game of March at Quinnipiac on Wednesday with a 4 p.m. match-up in Hamden, Conn.