Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Dropped By New Hampshire, 11-7

Senior midfielder Kacey Pippitt was one of five Huskies to score Wednesday against the Wildcats.

March 5, 2014

Box Score

DURHAM, N.H. - The University of Connecticut women's lacrosse team was unable to rally from a four-goal halftime deficit, falling to New Hampshire, 11-7, Wednesday afternoon at Bremner Field. The loss was the third straight for the Huskies, who are now 1-4 on the season.

UConn sophomore midfielder Alyson Fazio (Metheun, Mass.) leveled the score at one with 23:20 left in the first half, netting her fourth goal of the season for the Huskies before the Wildcats' offense took control. New Hampshire scored the next five goals, getting three goals from UNH attacker Kayleigh Hinkle and two from midfielder Laura Puccia. Puccia finished the game with four goals to lead all scorers.

The Huskies cut into the lead with less than five minutes remaining in the first half when senior midfielder Lauren Kahn (Nanuet, N.Y.) entered the 8-meter arc and found sophomore midfielder Katherine Finkelston (Leonardtown, Md.), who beat UNH goalkeeper Taylor Hurwitz to pull Connecticut within four scores. The goal was Finkelston's eighth of the season and UConn trailed the Wildcats 6-2 at the break despite putting one more shot on goal in the first 30 minutes.

After three straight UNH goals out the break pushed the Wildcats' lead to 9-2, UConn senior midfielder Kacey Pippitt (New Canaan, Conn.) converted the Huskies' fourth free position attempt of the game with 22:59 left in the game. Less than a minute later Connecticut sophomore midfielder Alexandra Crofts (Westport, Conn.) netted her fifth goal of the season to make it 9-4 and she added another one with 13:32 left in the game to cut the UNH lead to 10-5.



Connecticut pulled closer when the Huskies scored a nice goal in transition, as Kahn put home her team-leading 10th goal of the year with just under 13 minutes in the game. UConn again was within four scores after freshman Molly O'Reilly (South Salem, N.Y.) scored her first collegiate goal following another free position attempt for the Huskies. Connecticut finished the day 2-7 on free position shots.

UConn junior goalkeeper Marya Fratoni (Downingtown, Pa.) had one of her best games of the season, allowing just five goals in over 34 minutes of action to go along with five saves in relief of sophomore keeper Shannon Nee (Lancaster, Pa.) The Huskies outshot New Hampshire 23-19 and held a 12-8 advantage in draw controls in the loss.

Connecticut returns to action Sunday when it hosts James Madison at 1 p.m. at the George J. Sherman-Family Sports Complex.