Skip to main content Skip to footer
Kahn's Game-Winner In Overtime Lifts UConn Past JMU, 14-13

Sophomore midfielder Katherine Finkelston led all scorers with four goals in UConn's win over JMU Sunday.

March 9, 2014

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - University of Connecticut senior midfielder Lauren Kahn (Nanuet, N.Y.) slotted home the game-winning goal 23 seconds into the second overtime period to lift the UConn women's lacrosse team past James Madison, 14-13, Sunday afternoon at the George J. Sherman-Family Sports Complex. The Huskies improve to 2-4 overall with the win, while the Dukes drop to 4-2 following the loss.

UConn senior midfielder Kacey Pippitt (New Canaan, Conn.) won the draw control at the start of the second overtime period and charged down the field, where she found Kahn near the top of the 8-meter arc. Kahn took advantage of the space in front of her and managed to get in the 8-meter and beat JMU goalkeeper Schylar Healy to propel the Huskies to victory. She finished the day with three goals and four assists to go along with six ground balls.

The Huskies had multiple opportunities to win the game earlier, starting at the end of regulation when they had a one-goal lead with less than 15 seconds to go in the contest. The Dukes were down to their last offensive attack, and with 12 seconds remaining Connecticut senior defender Siobhan Wilcox (Glastonbury, Conn.) was called for a foul in the 8-meter arc, which gave JMU a free position attempt.

JMU sophomore Jaci Gordon's free position shot was saved by UConn sophomore goalkeeper Shannon Nee (Lancaster, Pa.), but five seconds later UConn sophomore midfielder Alyson Fazio (Metheun, Mass.) was called for a foul and the Dukes earned another free position attempt. This time they converted, as JMU junior midfielder Ali Curwin scored her free position shot to knot the game at 12 with two seconds left in regulation.



Connecticut had a one-goal lead towards the end of the first overtime period and the Dukes once again answered. JMU freshman midfielder Leah Monticello netted her third goal of the season with 11 seconds to pull the Dukes even with the Huskies minutes after freshman Jacqueline Jordan (Los Gatos, Calif.) put UConn up, 13-12, earlier in the period with her second goal of the game.  

The first half featured runs by both teams, as JMU jumped out to 5-2 lead in the opening 15 minutes, getting goals from five different players. The Huskies quickly responded, scoring six of the next  seven goals to take an 8-6 lead with 4:09 left in the half. Five UConn players netted goals during this time, including sophomore midfielder Katherine Finkelston (Leonardtown, Pa.), who scored four goals Sunday to lead all scorers.

Goals from Finkelston and Pippitt pushed UConn's lead to 10-8 out of the break, and the Huskies only trailed for 14 seconds in the second half. Nee made five saves and had one ground ball as she improved to 2-4 on the year, while Healy recorded six saves in the loss. Both teams committed 23 turnovers, and the Huskies held a slight 25-24 advantage in shots.

UConn returns to action Friday when it faces Oregon on the road in a night time game set for 7 p.m.