Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Fall To Georgetown, 16-8, In Conference Tournament Semifinals

Kacey Pippitt (right) had six draw controls for UConn Thursday night against Georgetown.

May 2, 2014

Box Score

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Connecticut sophomore midfielder Alyson Fazio (Methuen, Mass.) scored a career-high three goals and sophomore goalkeeper Shannon Nee (Lancaster, Pa.) turned away 12 shots in a losing effort for the UConn women’s lacrosse team, which fell to Georgetown, 16-8, in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament Thursday night at Multi-Sport Field. The Huskies end their season at 10-7 overall and 5-2 in conference play, as they lose in the semifinals for the second straight season.

The Hoyas opened up the scoring less than four minutes into the game when Georgetown attacker Caroline Tarzian made a great move in the 8-meter arc and scored from close range. Georgetown would double its lead after UConn failed to clear the ball one minute later when Hoya attacker Meghan Farrell scooped up the loose ball and found Corinne Etchison, who buried her 24th goal of the season.

Connecticut’s first quality scoring attempt came with just under 20 minutes left in the first period when senior midfielder Lauren Kahn (Nanuet, N.Y.) stole the ball away from a Georgetown attacker and charged down field towards Hoya goalkeeper Maddy Fisher. Kahn was fouled just before the 8-meter arc, and out of the dead ball she found midfielder Kacey Pippitt (New Canaan, Conn.), who was denied trying to beat Fisher down low.

A goal by Farrell extended the Hoyas’ lead to three, but the Huskies offense would quickly respond, scoring three times in less than two minutes. Senior attacker Jordan Christopher (Downingtown, Pa.) put the Connecticut on the board with 15:31 left in the first half after receiving a great pass from Kahn, who found Christopher from the top right corner of the 8-meter.



After Fazio’s 10th goal of the season cut the Georgetown lead to one, sophomore attacker Carly Palmucci (Herndon, Va.) scored on a free position attempt to tie the game at three. The Huskies went 3-4 on free position shots for the game.

Goals by Georgetown Tarzian and midfielder Kelyn Freedman pushed the Hoyas’ lead back to two before Fazio registered her second goal of the night after beating Fisher from the top of the 8-meter. A free position goal by Pippitt shortly after made it 5-5, which was the score at the break.

Georgetown scored the first goal out of the half, which came with 24:07 left in the game when Tarzian flipped the ball from behind the cage to Freedman, who beat Nee top shelf. The Huskies wouldn’t trail for long though, as Fazio added her season-high third goal of the game on another great shot from near the top of the 8-meter.

Connecticut’s inability to clear the ball eventually caught up with them in the second half, as the Hoyas rattled off six straight goals to give Georgetown its biggest lead (12-6) lead of the night and put the game out of reach with 10:50 remaining in the game. Georgetown finished the game with 13 caused turnovers, while the Huskies converted just eight of their 17 clear attempts. Tarzian scored twice during that stretch as she and Etchison each finished with a game-high four goals for Georgetown.

Pippitt’s unassisted goal with just under 10 minutes left in the contest cut the lead back to five, but the Huskies were unable to get any closer after that.

Nee’s 12 saves marked the fifth time the UConn keeper recorded at least 10 saves in a game. The Hoyas outshot the Huskies 31-21 and held a 17-11 advantage in ground balls. Each team controlled 13 draws, but Georgetown only committed eight turnovers, while the Huskies coughed the ball up 18 times.