Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Drop Close Decision to Wisconsin in Season Opener

Sam McGuire scored the Huskies first goal of the season.

Aug 23, 2013

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. – The University of Connecticut women’s soccer team fell 3-2 against Wisconsin on Friday evening in the season opener at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The Huskies drop to 0-1-0, while the Badgers pick up their first win of the season to move to 1-0-0.

The Badgers opened the scoring in the 27th minute, scoring on an unassisted goal from Rose Lavelle who fired a shot into the bottom right corner of the goal from 14 yards out after dodging two UConn defenders. Connecticut outshot Wisconsin 6-5 in the first half but was unable to find the back of the net.

Both goalkeepers were busy in the first half of play, as UConn newcomer Emily Armstrong (Collegeville, Pa.) made three saves while Wisconsin’s Genevieve Richard also stopped three shots.

The Badgers opened their advantage to 2-0 early in the second half, when Alev Kelter executed a perfect back heel through-ball to a cutting Kodee Williams, who buried a shot into the bottom left corner of the goal.

UConn connected on their first goal of the season 14 minutes into the second half, when Rachel Hill (Somersworth, N.H.) headed a pass from the top of the box to Sam McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) who finished with a strong shot to the bottom left of the goal. Connecticut held possession for the next ten minutes, narrowly missing an opportunity to tie the game when Hill missed a shot just wide in the 69th minute.

The Huskies finally drew even one minute later when Riley Houle (Columbia, Conn.) beat the Badger defense to the box and head-faked the Wisconsin goalkeeper to create space, before tapping in a shot on an open net.

The offensive show continued when Wisconsin responded in the 82nd minute when Lavelle headed a shot which Armstrong saved with a punch, but the rebound hit the crossbar and bounced back to Cara Walls who drove it past a diving Armstrong into the left side of the net.



The Huskies were unable to muster a shot in the final eight minutes of the contest, as the Badger defense locked down after a shaky beginning of the second half. Both teams attempted 15 shots, while the Badgers held a 4-3 edge in corner kicks.

“This Wisconsin team is a team that is technically sound and they do a great job competing,” said assistant coach Zac Shaw. “I think that we were much improved in the second half. It’s encouraging to see us fight back from two goals down. It shows a lot of character but we need to take the next step and win.”

Wisconsin now holds a 5-2 all-time mark against UConn in series history. Tonight’s contest marked the first time the two teams have battled since the 2002 season.

Connecticut has a quick turnaround as it hosts No. 2 Stanford on Sunday, August 25th at 6:00 p.m. at  Morrone Stadium .