Skip to main content Skip to footer
Gottwik Scores First Career Goal In 1-1 Draw At Syracuse

Danielle Gottwik scored in the 11th minute for the Huskies
Sept. 1, 2014

Final Stats

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Freshman Danielle Gottwik scored her first career goal in a 1-1 draw for the UConn women’s soccer team at Syracuse on Monday afternoon at SU Soccer Stadium. The tie moves the Huskies to 2-1-1 on the year, while the Orange go to 1-1-2.

The draw for UConn was its first since Oct. 7, 2012, a 1-1 tie in Storrs vs. Marquette. Gottwik (New Port Richey, Fla.) led the Connecticut attack with five shots (three on goal) for the match, as UConn out-shot SU 19-14 (8-3 on goal). Julie Hubbard (Waverly, Pa.) also had five shots, and Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) fired three on goal.



Allison Saucier (Rocky Hill, Conn.) and Emily Armstrong (Collegeville, Pa.) split time in goal, with Saucier getting the start before Armstrong played the final 65 minutes. Armstrong recorded two saves, while Syracuse’s MacKenzie Moranz made seven stops.

The Huskies got on the board in the 11th minute with Gottwik’s strike. The rookie took a pass at the top of the penalty area and ripped a quick shot with her left foot past Moranz to give UConn a 1-0 lead.

Syracuse found an equalizer more than 25 minutes later, when subsititute Alexis Koval equalized with a header goal  in the 37th that made it 1-1. The rest of the first half was quiet, and the teams went into the second 45 all tied up.

Hubbard had a pair of good looks early in the second half, but couldn’t punch either home and put the Huskies ahead. SU nearly found a go-ahead goal in the 69th minute, but Stephanie Skilton’s attempt rang the crossbar.

Neither team was able to finish off the contest in regulation, so it went on to overtime. Samantha McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) had a chance for the Huskies in the 98th minute, but her open blast sailed wide of the cage. McGuire had another chance blocked in the 100th minute that set up a UConn corner, but again the Huskies couldn’t convert and the match went to a second overtime period.

Gottwik nearly won it for UConn with another goal in the 108th minute, firing a shot from the right side that was tipped aside by Moranz. The Huskies couldn’t find the winner late, as the Orange back-line held strong to finish off the tie.

Up next, the Huskies return to the Nutmeg State for a clash with in-state foe Central Connecticut on Friday, Sept. 5. Game time in New Britain is set for 7 p.m.