Skip to main content Skip to footer
Women's Soccer Downs Yale 2-1 In Double Overtime Victory
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
– The University of Connecticut women’s soccer team defeated Yale 2-1 in a thrilling double overtime victory at Morrone Stadium on Friday night. A yellow card handball with three seconds left in the game allowed sophomore Cory Bildstein (Stockton, N.J.) to take a penalty kick and with 1.1 seconds left on the clock she tied up the game and send it into overtime. Senior Annie Yi (Indianapolis, Ind.) scored eight minutes into the second overtime to win the game for the Huskies.

Yale (0-1) scored the first goal of the game at 54:52 when Emma Whitfield sent a pass to Becky Brown who streaked up the field and fired a shot past senior Stephanie Labbe (Stony Plain, Alberta) and into the top right corner of the goal.

But with 1.1 seconds left on the clock Bildstein made a literal last second attempt to score and sent a laser shot to the top right corner of the goal that allowed UConn (2-2) tie up the game and send it into overtime.

Neither team was able to score in the first overtime of the game, but eight minutes into the second, sophomore Elise Fugowski (Stockholm, N.J.) sent a long pass from midfield up to a streaking Yi who beat the defenders and shot the ball into the goal for the win.

UConn controlled the majority of the offense of the game taking 31 shots to Yale’s six.

In the first half, the Huskies had a few opportunities to take an early lead. At the nine minute mark, freshman Melissa Busque (St. Bruno, Quebec) sent a ball through the defense right to senior Elizabeth Eng (Chicago, Ill.) but her shot just missed wide left. Eng had another opportunity at 18:37 but her shot sailed high over the outstretched hands of Yale goalie Ayana Sumiyasu. The Huskies closed out the half the way they began it with a last minute attempt to score at 44:45 when sophomore Sarah Stanczyk (Grosse Point, Mich.) sent a beautiful pass to senior Brittany Tegeler (Baldwin, Md.) but Tegeler’s shot just missed wide left of the goal.

Yale had very few opportunities to score in the first. Miyuki Hino almost got past the last UConn defender into open field but senior Jessica Diakun (Glastonbury, Conn.) stuck her leg out at the last minute and kicked away what could have been the first goal of the game for the Bulldogs.

The Huskies will be back in action Sunday, Sept. 7 at 3:00 p.m. against Boston University. The game was originally scheduled at 1:00 p.m. but was pushed back due to the impending weather. The day will be a pseudo double header with the men’s soccer team also taking on Boston University at 7:00 p.m. later that day.

GOALS BY PERIOD             1st          2nd         OT           2OT        Total
Yale                                0            1          0            0            1
UConn                             0            1          0            1            2 

1. 54:52 Brown, Becky (Whitfield, Emma)

2. 89:59 Bildstein, Cory

3. 107:55 Yi, Annie (Fugowski, Elise)

SAVES: Connecticut 3, Yale 14
SHOTS: Connecticut 31, Yale 6