Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Win Double Overtime Thriller Against La Salle

Rachel Hill dishes out assist in UConn's win

Sept. 19, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

STORRS, Conn. - After 108:57 minutes and 41 combined shots, the University of Connecticut women's soccer team earned a 1-0 victory over La Salle on Thursday night at Morrone Stadium when Stephanie Ribeiro found the back of net with just 1:03 remaining in the second overtime.  Connecticut now sits at 6-3-0 on the season while La Salle moves to 6-2-0.

Ribeiro's first goal of the season came from six yards out when Rachel Hill laced a pass into the box where Riberio was waiting to send it into the bottom left of the net.

Both teams had their fair share of opportunities in the first half, as UConn held a 9-5 edge in shots. Connecticut's first opportunity came in the 8th minute, when Hill fired a shot from the top right of the box that was saved by goalkeeper Jessica Wiggins but sent back out to Julie Hubbard who tapped her shot wide left of the net.

In the 11th minute, Hubbard took a free-kick from 20 yards out that curled around the La Salle wall but was rejected by the crossbar.

La Salle's best chance of the first half came when Gabriella Carbone sent a beautiful cross into the middle of the box but the UConn defense was able to get a head on the ball, sending it away to safety.

At the 37:36 mark, Stephanie Ribeiro ripped a shot towards the bottom right of the net, which was saved by a sprawling Wiggins.

The Explorers had an excellent chance to take a 1-0 lead midway through the second half, when Deja Davis received a through-ball at the top of the box. Davis eluded the Husky defender and sent a shot towards the bottom right of the goal that keeper Emily Armstrong was able to get a hand on and send a foot wide right of the goal.

At the 78:53 mark, Hubbard found space at the top left of the box but mishit her shot, sending it three yards wide of the net.

La Salle's final chance in regulation came at the 83:55 mark, when Emily Fenton collided with a Husky defender, grabbed the ball, and fired a shot over the crossbar and into the crowd.

In the first minute of overtime, Riley Houle nearly ended the game when her shot from 25 yards out careened off the crossbar and into the arms of the keeper.

Connecticut had a great chance with just three minutes remaining in the second overtime when Hubbard blasted a shot that clanged off the left post.

Armstrong played all 108:57 minutes, making  five saves. She sits 6-3-0 at on the young season, having allowed just five goals in 809:35 minutes. Wiggins made 10 saves and drops to 6-2-0 on the year.

Thursday's match marked the first ever meeting between the two programs.

The Huskies will be back in action this Sunday, September 22nd when they host No. 10 Georgetown at Morrone Stadium at 1:00 p.m.