Skip to main content Skip to footer
Annie Yi Helps Women's Soccer To A 2-2 Tie Against Fairfield
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
– The University of Connecticut women’s soccer team took to the road for the first time in September and though they played a man-down for the majority of the match finished in a tie, 2-2 with Fairfield in their last non-conference game of the season. Junior Annie Yi (Indianapolis, Ind.) scored both of the goals for the Huskies.

UConn controlled most of the offense during the first half taking 13 shots, seven of which were on goal. But as good as the UConn offense was their defense was even better not allowing Fairfield to get close to the goal. The Stags were only able to take two shots during the first half.

At 15:24 Yi struck first for the Huskies with a goal that was eerily similar to her game-winning one against Providence College on Friday. Yi cut across the field in front of the Fairfield defenders and struck the ball hard to the top middle of the net over the reach of Fairfield goalie Kelly Boudreau putting UConn up 1-0, a lead that they held going into the half.

At 48:52 sophomore Becky Gundling (Farmington, Conn.) received a red card while trying to defend a fast break by Fairfield putting the Huskies down a player for the remainder of the game.

Fairfield was able to take a free kick on the Gundling foul and at 48:56; Ahna Johnson headed the ball into the lower right corner of the goal after the free kick from Alyssa Decker.

Less than two minutes later at 50:20, Yi was able to put another ball past the Fairfield goalie to give UConn back the lead. Once again, Yi handled the score by herself making her way through the Fairfield defense and blasting a shot to the top of the goal.

Nicole Cavallaro tied the game back up at two all for the Stags at 65:24. On a play that drew senior goalie Stephanie Labbe (Stony Plain, Alberta) out of position, the helpers from Adrienne Boyer and Johnson allowed Cavallaro to tap the ball into the goal past Labbe.

During the 68th minute of play for the Huskies, freshman Melissa Busque (St. Bruno, Quebec) had a few opportunities for a score and the lead. She reeled back and fired twice in the span of a minute but a Fairfield defender was there to block the shot each time.

Another Husky, senior Liz Eng (Chicago, Ill.) had an opportunity with nine minutes remaining in the second half to give UConn the lead. On a pass from Yi, Eng flew up the field on a breakaway with only one defender near her. Her shot flew wide of the goal though.

The Huskies took the 2-2 score into double overtime where it remained the same after a hard fought game by both sides.

The Huskies are back in action Thursday, Sept. 25 at 7:00 p.m. taking on BIG EAST conference foe South Florida.

GOALS BY PERIOD             1st           2nd          1OT        2OT        Total
0            2            0          0            2
                          1            1            0          0             2

1. 15:24 UConn   Yi, Annie (unassisted)

2. 48:56 Fairfield  Johnson, Ahna  (Decker, Robyn)

3. 50:20 UConn  Yi, Annie (unassisted)

4. 65:14 Fairfield  Cavallaro, Nicole (Johnson, Ahna; Boyer, Adrienne)

SAVES: Connecticut 24, Fairfield 13
SHOTS: Connecticut 5, Fairfield 9