Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Women's Soccer Falls, 2-1, To No. 10 Georgetown

Hill connected on her fifth goal of the season in the 72nd minute.

Sept. 22, 2013

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. - The University of Connecticut women's soccer team hung tough with No. 10 Georgetown on Sunday afternoon at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium, but was unable to overcome a late second-half goal by the Hoyas, falling, 2-1. With the loss, Connecticut falls to 6-4-0, while Georgetown improves to 8-0-1.

The first goal of the match came at the 22:48 mark when Kailey Blain laced a pass to the top of the box where Daphne Corboz was waiting. Corboz took a step towards the middle of the box and fired a shot into the bottom left corner of the net, past a diving Emily Armstrong. It marked the third goal of the season for the Georgetown midfielder.

The Huskies nearly got on the board in the sixth minute, when Julie Hubbard sent a through-ball to Riley Houle at the top of the box. Houle was able to sidestep one Hoya defender but has her shot blocked from 15 yards out. In the 25th minute, Jennifer Skogerboe found space from 25 yards out and one-timed a shot that curled wide right of the net.

With 2:53 remaining in the first half, Liana Hinds sent a beautiful cross into the middle of the box where Samantha McGuire got a head on the ball, but her shot flew over the crossbar and into the stands.

The Huskies scored the equalizer at the 62:53 mark, when McGuire fired a shot that bounced off of Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins, right to Rachel Hill, who finished into the back right of the net to bring the score to 1-1. The goal was the team-leading fifth of the season for the Husky freshman.



Georgetown had an excellent chance three minutes into the second half when Corboz exchanged give-and-go passes with Kaitlin Brenn, who beat the Husky defense, but slipped on the wet grass and was unable to get a shot off.

In the 65th minute, Hinds sent another great cross in from 35 yards out that was headed just over the crossbar by Gabrielle Charno.

The Hoyas scored the game-winner at the 84:11 mark when Kaitlin Brenn lofted a shot over Armstrong from six yards out, assisted by Audra Ayotte.

Armstrong played all 90 minutes for UConn, making two saves and allowing the two Hoya goals. She sits at 6-4-0 on the season. Newins earns the win for Georgetown after making one save.

The Huskies are back in action on Thursday, September 26th when they will face SMU at in its first American Athletic Conference match at 7:00 p.m. at Morrone Stadium.