Skip to main content Skip to footer
Women's Soccer And South Florida End In 0-0 Tie
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
- The University of Connecticut women's soccer team took a season high 33 shots but were unable to get any of them in the goal finishing with a 0-0 tie to South Florida after two overtimes. The Huskies move to 1-0-1 in the BIG EAST.

UConn (3-5-2) controlled the majority of the offense in the first half, for the third game in a row. The Huskies took 13 shots during the first half, holding South Florida (4-2-3) to a mere four.

The first opportunity that UConn had to score came less than five minutes into the first half. The Huskies were able to take three corner kicks in a row in the span of two minutes. During that time, the Huskies took four shots, two of which sailed high for sophomore Elise Fugowski (Stockholm, N.J.). Fugowski ended the game with five shots, a career high.

Fugowski had another opportunity to score during the middle of the first half. After a corner kick taken by freshman Melissa Busque (St. Bruno, Quebec), Fugowski took two shots the first of which was blocked and the second was sent sailing high over the goal.

UConn kept the offense going into the second half. UConn took another 14 shots in the second half but were unable to capitalize on their opportunities and the score remained 0-0 going into overtime.

USF best opportunity of the game came with less than ten minutes remaining in regulation. Angelique Walker fired a missile to the goal but senior Stephanie Labbe (Stony Plain, Alberta) was there for the save.

Sophomore Cory Bildstein (Stockton, N.J.)took a great shot at the goal at the very beginning of the overtime period but her shot just missed the goal by inches. Bildstein had a few more opportunities to score during the first overtime period, once on a free kick outside of the box. Her shot just missed the crossbar sailing high. Right before the end of the first overtime, Bildstein put herself into position to head the ball into the goal but missed, seconds before the end of the period.

UConn finished the night with 33 shots, 11 on goal. The Huskies only allowed South Florida to take 9 throughout the course of the game, but neither team could capitalize on their attempts and the score remained at 0-0 after two overtime periods.

The Huskies are back in action in Milwaukee, Wisc. on Sunday when they take on the Marquette Golden Eagles in their first BIG EAST road trip of the season at 2:00 p.m.

GOALS BY PERIOD             1st           2nd          1OT        2OT        Total
South Florida                      
0           0            0           0            0
                           0           0            0            0            0

No Goals

SAVES: Connecticut 4, USF 11
SHOTS: Connecticut 33, USF 9