Skip to main content Skip to footer
Ruutu Lifts Connecticut to 3-2 Victory Over DePaul

Ribeiro scored in second half to tie the game at 2-2 in UConn's Friday night win.

Sept. 28, 2012

Box Score

STORRS, Conn.  – The University of Connecticut women’s soccer team posted a thrilling 3-2 win over DePaul at Morrone Stadium on Friday evening. The Huskies improved to 7-4-1 and 3-2 in the BIG EAST after taking down the Blue Demons in the pouring rain. DePaul fell to 7-5-1 and an even 2-2 conference mark. 

DePaul dotted the scoreboard first at 15:04 when Kelly Blumberg scored her third goal of the season from short distance on a cross from Ren Stoecklin to give the Blue Demons a 1-0 advantage.

The Huskies, who outshot DePaul 16-10, beat several Blue Demon defenders with Plucenik chipping the ball to an open Linda Ruutu who crossed the ball in front of the goal to a waiting Sam McGuire. McGuire fired the ball from six yards out to even the game at 1-1 at 20:48.

DePaul entered halftime with a 2-1 lead following Blumberg’s second goal of the evening which came at 28:06 on a header from the middle of the box.

Freshman forward Stephanie Ribeiro gave the Huskies a 2-2 tie on her unassisted score from close range. The 57:55 goal came after Ribeiro rebounded a UConn shot that ricocheted off the post and landed at the forward’s foot.

With 15 minutes remaining in the tied contest the Blue Demons challenged the Husky backline but the UConn defense stood strong and forced the DePaul shooter to take an off-balanced attempt that junior keeper Leigh-Ann Jaggon stopped from going in the goal.

Ruutu notched the game winning goal in the 84th minute of action off of a free kick when she drilled the ball from 30 yards out to give the Huskies a 3-2 conference win.

Jaggon tallied four saves in her third career win as she sits at 3-2 on the season, while Megan Pyrz fell to 6-5-1 after recording eight saves.

The Huskies remain in Storrs when they welcome league opponent Notre Dame to Morrone Stadium on Sunday at noon.