Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Drop Road Game, 3-0, At Notre Dame

Roma and the Huskies fall 3-0 to Notre Dame.

Sept. 30, 2011

Box Score

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - The Huskies traveled to South Bend, Ind. to take on BIG EAST foe Notre Dame on a cold and windy Friday evening as Connecticut women's soccer fell to the defending National Champions, 3-0. Friday's game, which was aired on ESPNU, moves the Huskies to 4-5-2 overall and 1-2-2 in the BIG EAST.

Notre Dame, now 5-5-2, 2-2-1 BE, handed UConn its third shutout of the season. On the night, the Fighting Irish outshot the Huskies 18-10, while UConn had four shots on goal and Notre Dame had seven at goal. Senior keeper Jessica Dulski (Pittsford, N.Y.) was challenged early earning her first save of the night when Notre Dame's defender Jessica Schuveiller drilled a shot from 20 yards out to a waiting Dulski.

The Fighting Irish continued to force the ball against the UConn defense with leading scorer Melissa Henderson taking a shot 10 yards out as defender Karen Gurnon (Tolland, Conn.) blocked the attempt.

With the Fighting Irish denying any Husky attempt at offensive pressure in the first ten minutes, redshirt junior forward Danielle Schulmann (Saddle River, N.J.) broke the smothering defense to take a shot but was blocked by a UND defender.

18:10 into the game, Schulmann, who led the Huskies with four shots, had a chance to put the Huskies on the scoreboard with her shot on goal from the far left corner but a diving Maddie Fox earned her first save of the evening.

With UConn struggling to earn access to the inside of the box, senior forward Jessica Shufelt (Rochester, N.Y.) took a deep shot, but was unfortunately directly at Fox.

The Fighting Irish regained control of the ball taking a 2-0 advantage over the Huskies scoring two goals within 40 seconds.

24:51 minutes into the game Schuveiller scored her third goal of the season to give Notre Dame a 1-0 advantage on her unassisted goal. Schuveiller would nail the ball from the middle of the field about 25 yards out into the left corner of the net by a diving Dulski.



Coming out of a media timeout, the Fighting Irish picked up right where they left off when the BIG EAST's leading scorer Henderson charged from the right side and took two close range shots. Dulski would make back-to-back excellent diving saves but could not retreat quickly enough with Lauren Bohaboy jumping on the rebound to reach the back of the net 25:31 minutes into the match.

The Huskies would have several tries at goal 35 minutes into the game when junior forward Linda Ruutu (Espoo, Finland) took a perfectly placed ball from Schulmann and booted it with Fox making an excellent jumping save. Following the save, Schulmann and sophomore mid Jennifer Skogerboe (Leesburg, Va.) each had shots on goal.

The Fighting Irish would go up 3-0 five minutes into the second half (49:47) with Bohaboy notching her second goal of the game from inside the left side of the box off of touches from both Schuveiller and Henderson.

With eight minutes remaining in regulation, Schulmann continued to threaten the UND defense sending a ball from midfield to redshirt senior forward Samantha Kelley (Simsbury, Conn.) who had a chance at goal before being tangled up with two defenders.

Notre Dame maintained control of the ball the majority of the second half with Connecticut having one shot attempt in the first half while the Fighting Irish had five.

Each keeper concluded the evening with four saves.

The Huskies continue their trip to the Midwest with a 1 p.m. contest at DePaul on Sunday, Oct. 2. UConn holds a 6-0-0 overall record over the Blue Devils. The last time the two BIG EAST foes faced each other was on October 17, 2010 with the Huskies walking away with a 3-1 victory.