Skip to main content Skip to footer
Danielle Schulmann Leads the Huskies To 2-1 Win At DePaul

Devin Prendergast assisted in game winning goal over DePaul.

Oct. 2, 2011

Box Score

CHICAGO, Ill. - Danielle Schulmann led the Huskies to a 2-1 victory over BIG EAST opponent DePaul as she scored two goals on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Connecticut improved to 5-5-2 on the season and 2-2-2 in conference action as DePaul fell to 3-9-1 and 1-4-1 in the BIG EAST.

Despite the Blue Demons pressuring the ball early, the Huskies bounced back eight minutes into the game to gain control of the ball as three Huskies attempted shots with all being blocked by DePaul defenders.

Connecticut, who won its first Sunday game of the season, would maintain the ball the bulk of the first half outshooting DePaul 5-2 with UConn finding the back of the net first to take a 1-0 lead.

In the 30th minute of the game redshirt junior Schulmann (Saddle River, N.J.) sent the ball flying past Megan Pyrz to the lower left corner of the net. Schulmann received a cross 15 yards out from junior defender Danielle Dakin (Wilbraham, Mass.), who drove the ball down the length of the field, to record her sixth goal of the season.

With a minute left in the first half, the Blue Demons threatened the Husky defense taking a shot from outside the penalty box going wide to the left.

Entering the second half trailing 1-0, the Blue Demons wasted no time as Morgan Celeya scored from six yards at 47:11. Forward Rachel Pitman was credited with the assist after beating four UConn defenders and touching the ball to Celeya who evened the game at 1-1.

With a tied game, both teams would have their opportunities at goal, including Schulmann and junior mid Linda Ruutu (Espoo, Finland) shooting from long distances.

The Husky's defense stood strong as DePaul forced the ball inside with Dakin making two key blocks and senior goalkeeper Jessica Dulski (Pittsford, N.Y.) saving her first ball of the day.



Connecticut took a 2-1 advantage when sophomore midfielder Devin Prendergast (Babylon, N.Y.) crossed the ball from the far left side of the field to Schulmann who would capitalize on a header in front of the net at 81:26.

Dulski, now 5-5-2 on the season, and the Huskies continued to play shut down defense in the final minutes of the game with DePaul still threatening. Both keepers finished the afternoon with two saves, while UConn outshot the Blue Demons 12-10 with the Huskies taking one corner and DePaul taking three.

The Huskies continue their four-game road trip on Friday, October 7, when they travel to face South Florida at 7:30 p.m. Following South Florida's contest, UConn will continue its weekend journeying to Marquette on Sunday, Oct. 9, for a 2 p.m. match.