Skip to main content Skip to footer
Houle And McGuire Score In 2-2 Tie Vs. Memphis

Riley Houle potted her fifth goal of the season in the draw
Oct. 2, 2014

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. – Riley Houle and Samantha McGuire picked up goals for the UConn women’s soccer team in a 2-2 draw vs. Memphis on Thursday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The tie moves UConn to 8-3-2 on the season and 1-1-1 in American Athletic Conference play, while Memphis goes 4-5-3 and 1-1-1 in league action.

Houle (Columbia, Conn.) scored for Connecticut in the 29th minute to give the Huskies an early lead. Memphis equalized before halftime and went ahead in the 86th minute, but a late goal from McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) pulled UConn even and forced overtime and the eventual tie.

The Huskies held a 22-15 edge in shots, with a 9-6 advantage in shots on goal and 7-4 lead in corner kicks. Allison Saucier (Rocky Hill, Conn.) played all 110 minutes in goal for UConn and made four saves, while Memphis’ Maryse Bard-Martel stopped seven shots. 

Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) and Houle connected to create a pair of chances for the Huskies midway through the opening stanza. Houle sent a through-ball to Hill deep in the box in the 19th minute, but Bard-Martel charged forward to save Hill’s blast. In the 22nd minute, Hill worked the ball to Houle on the right side with space for a shot that hit the crossbar.



The Huskies finally broke through in the 29th minute. After a Danielle Gottwik (New Port Richey, Fla.) corner kick, McGuire headed a blast off the crossbar. Memphis could not clear the rebound and it ended on the foot of Sabrina Toole (Wesport, Conn.), who snuck a pass to Houle on the near post for a tap-in goal. 

Memphis founds an equalizer 15 minutes later, also capitalizing on a corner kick.  Kaitlyn Atkins served in the corner, finding Melissa Duguay for a shot that was saved. Sessen Stevens was there for the Tigers, and buried the rebound for her second goal of the year.

In the 58th minute Hill had a golden opportunity breaking in alone on Bard-Martel, but again the Tiger keeper was able to charge forward and get a piece of the shot. Megan Hunsberger (Bethlehem, Pa.) tried her luck when she curled a shot on target from the edge of the penalty area in the 71st minute that was snagged.

The Tigers went ahead in the 86th minute, capitalizing on a loose ball in the box. The ball bounced around until Ginesha Pickersgill was able to corral it and roof a shot to put Memphis up 2-1. 

UM’s lead was short-lived, with the Huskies striking a minute later on a corner kick. Gottwik served in the set-piece, and McGuire raced towards goal and headed home her fifth goal of the year to equalize.

The Huskies had a series of chances in the first overtime period, but couldn’t connect on any. Memphis nearly ended the contest in the 100th minute, but a Valerie Sanderson chance from point-blank range hit the crossbar. Neither team could generate a quality look in the second overtime, keeping the game deadlocked for a draw. 

Up next, the Huskies host Tulsa for the first meeting between the two squads in the history of each program. Kick-off in Storrs on Sunday, Oct. 5 is set for 12 p.m.