Skip to main content Skip to footer
Huskies Remain Undefeated at Home with 1-0 Win Over Temple

Rachel Hill scored UConn's only goal, her fifth game-winner of the season, in the 1-0 victory against Temple.
Oct. 2, 2015

Final Stats

STORRS, Conn. -- The No. 20 UConn women's soccer team (10-2-0, 2-1-0) earned its second conference win after defeating Temple (8-5-0, 0-3-0) 1-0 on Friday. Junior Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) netted her ninth goal, and fifth game-winner of the season in the 37th minute, giving UConn an early 1-0 lead and eventual 1-0 win. Junior Emily Armstrong (Collegeville, Pa.) recorded five saves for her fourth shutout this season.

Temple opened the match with two big scoring chances in the first five minutes of the game. Just thirty seconds into the match, Temple's Gabriella McKeown managed to beat UConn's defense, pulling Armstrong out of her net. McKeown waited for Armstrong to come out just far enough for her to shoot when she made a left-footed shot that did not have enough hook and missed just wide of the net.

Minutes later, Elana Falcone of Temple launched the ball from far out on net, but it hit off the post and bounced out. Temple controlled the play in the early minutes of the first half, not allowing UConn a shot until the 21st minute.

Armstrong came up with a crucial save for the Huskies in the 26th minute, after making a diving save knocking away another Temple scoring opportunity from Kaylee Harner.

UConn took the lead in the 37th minute after freshman Kim Urbanek (Lonnerstadt, Germany) fed the ball to Hill down the right side of the field. Hill took the ball in close to the net and she tapped it into the far left corner of the net past Temple goalkeeper, Jordan Nash, to take a 1-0 lead late in the first half.

The Huskies came out strong in the second half with junior Stephanie Ribeiro (Pawtucket, R.I.) putting up back-to-back shots right off the bat. Ribeiro registered a third shot minutes later that looked like it could have been a second Husky goal, where she spun around at the top of the box and ripped a shot right on target, but Nash was there to make the save.

Senior Liana Hinds (Hartford, Conn.) created another opportunity for the Huskies in the 60th minute when she crossed it right in front of the net, but no one could make it to the other side to tap it in the back door. UConn denied Temple of registering any shots the majority of the second half.

Temple tried to get off a shot late in the second half, but it was blocked away by the UConn defense. The Owls got off their one and only shot on goal in the second half with less than one minute remaining on the clock, but it was saved by Armstrong.

UConn outshot Temple 19-10, registering eight total shots on goal, in comparison to Temple's five. Temple goalkeeper Jordan Nash recorded seven saves for the Owl, while Armstrong racked up her fourth shutout this season, making five big saves for the Huskies.

The Huskies remain at home for their next two matches, the first on Thursday, Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. against East Carolina at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.