Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Battles Tulsa To 2-2 Draw

Rachel Hill picked up her 12th goal of the season in the draw
Oct. 5, 2014 Final Stats

STORRS, Conn.The UConn women’s soccer team battled Tulsa to a 2-2 draw on Sunday afternoon at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The tie pushed the Huskies to 8-3-3 on the year and 1-1-2 in American Athletic Conference play, while Tulsa moved to 7-5-2 and 1-2-1 in league action. 



The Huskies trailed at halftime in the contest, but a free kick goal from Danielle Gottwik (New Port Richey, Fla.) drew them even before the 25th career goal for sophomore standout Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) made it 2-1. Tulsa equalized in the 79th minute to force an eventual overtime, in which neither team could find a winner.

Connecticut held a 26-15 advantage in shots on the day, including a 9-5 edge in shots on goal. Samantha McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) led all players with 10 shots overall, including five on target. Allison Saucier (Rocky Hill, Conn.) and Emily Armstong (Collegeville, Pa.) split time in goal and combined to make three saves for the Huskies, while Courtney McKeon stopped six shots for the Golden Hurricane. 

UConn nearly converted with a pair of header chances in the game’s first 10 minutes. The first was a bid by McGuire off a Gottwik corner kick that skipped over the crossbar, before Riley Houle (Columbia, Conn.) crossed one in to Hill that was also headed over the cage.

In the 17th minute, Tulsa got on the board to take a 1-0 lead. Christina Holmes made a run from near midfield deep into the UConn penalty area, gaining space and firing a shot into the top left corner of the cage.

Alexa Keney (Suffield, Conn.) made a bid for the Huskies at the tail end of the first half, but her blast in the box went wide of the cage and was corralled by McKeon. UConn trailed 1-0 at half, depite holding a 12-5 advantage in shots in the opening frame.

The Huskies broke through in the 53rd minute, finding an equalizer. After a Tulsa foul from outside the edge of the penalty area, Gottwik stepped up for a 24-yard free kick and coolly buried it into the bottom right corner.

UConn took the lead 10 minutes later, with Hill picking up her 12th goal of the year in the 63rd minute. Liana Hinds (Hartford, Conn.) started the scoring play with a long chip into the box, where McGuire was awaiting. With her back to the goal, McGuire sent a back-pass to Hill, who ripped a shot off the crossbar and down across the goal line to put the Huskies up 2-1. 

In the 79th minute, Holmes found the back of the net again to pull the Golden Hurricane even. The Huskies were unable to clear a loose ball in the penalty area, and Holmes gained control to send a shot into an empty net for second of the game.

Neither team could find a winner in a chippy final 10 minutes of regulation, and the contest went to extra time. Andrea Plucenik (Brooklyn, Conn.) nearly ended it for the Huskies in the 93rd minute, but her shot sailed over the cage. McGuire made another strong bid four minutes later with a chip on goal that McKeon ranged back and snagged while falling into the far post. 

The Huskies nearly broke the deadlock in the final moments of regulation, with Hill and Brittany Moreau (Belchertown, Mass.) each taking a look in the box and sending shots wide.

Up next, the Huskies are on the road for a pair of contests in the Lonestar State. First up, UConn travels to Houston on Thursday, Oct. 9 for an 8 p.m. contest.