Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Plays SMU to a Scoreless Draw

Oct. 6, 2016

Final Stats

DALLAS – In the its first overtime match of the season, the No. 21 UConn women’s soccer team played to a scoreless draw against SMU Thursday at Westcott Field.

UConn, who has not recorded a tie since 2014, is now 10-2-1 overall while SMU is 8-3-1. The Huskies and the Mustangs remain tied for first in the American Athletic Conference as they both are now 2-0-1 in conference games.

In a scoreless first half, neither the Huskies nor the Mustangs had many promising opportunities with the exception of the last five minutes of the half. SMU controlled the majority of play in the first frame, outshooting UConn 7-3 and 4-1 in shots on goal in the first 45 minutes.

Senior goalkeeper Emily Armstrong (Collegeville, Pa.) was a major force in goal, making seven crucial saves for the Huskies, including three in overtime. Sophomore defender Heidi Druehl (Stamford, Conn.) came up big for the Huskies in the 16th minute when she made a save to prevent a one-goal deficit.

UConn’s closest opportunity of the half came in the 42nd minute off a free kick from senior Stephanie Ribeiro (Pawtucket, R.I.) when classmate Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) made a diving attempt at a header, but could not capitalize for a goal. SMU followed that up with back-to-back shots in the 43rd minute, one that hit off the crossbar, the other the post.

The second half was just as stagnant as the first with just four shots from UConn, only one of which was on goal. Senior Maddie Damm (North Kingstown, R.I.) gave UConn its best chance of the second half in the 66th minute when she registered UConn’s second shot on goal of the game.



The clock expired after 90 minutes of regulation and UConn saw extra time for the first time this year. Armstrong and the UConn defense gave a stellar performance, guarding the back line through 110 minutes to earn a draw for the Huskies.


The Huskies continue their Texas tour with AAC contender, Houston, on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 2 p.m. (ET) at the Carl Lewis Complex.