Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Remains Undefeated at Home with Shutout Over East Carolina

Freshman Kim Urbanek scored her second goal of the season, extending UConn's lead to 3-0 in the 85th minute.
Oct. 8, 2015

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

STORRS, Conn. – The No. 18 UConn women’s soccer team (11-2-0, 3-1-0) shutout East Carolina (7-7-1, 2-3-0) with a 3-0 victory on Thursday. Senior Andrea Plucenik (Brooklyn, Conn.) and freshman Kim Urbanek (Lonnerstadt, Germany) each netted their second goals of the season against the Pirates.

Plucenik gave the Huskies an early 1-0 lead, just over one minute into the match when she took a shot at the top of the box that went over ECU’s goalkeeper Saundra Baron, hit off the cross bar and deflected down into the net.

UConn put up two more shots in the first ten minutes, one from junior Stephanie Ribeiro (Pawtucket, R.I.) that went wide of the net and the other from Urbanek that was denied by Baron.

Senior Samantha McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) put up a nice scoring chance for UConn in the 16th minute after she shot from way outside the box. It appeared as though the ball was heading into the far left corner, but instead it trickled just wide of the cage.

Junior Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) created another opportunity in the 24th minute when passed it off to Urbanek who dribbled it in tight to the goal then crossed it over to Plucenik, who got the shot off, but it went just wide of the net.

Hill capitalized seconds later, extending UConn’s lead to 2-0 in the 24th minute after she received a pass from Ribeiro, dribbled it into the box and shot it into the far corner of the net. That goal marked Hill’s tenth of the season, bringing her to a total of 23 points so far this year.

The Huskies went into the half with a 2-0 lead, having outshot the Pirates 9-1 in the first frame.

East Carolina saw its first scoring chance in the beginning of the second half when Caitlin Hite headed one on target, but was called for offsides.

Senior goaltender Allison Saucier (Rocky Hill, Conn.) entered the game for the Huskies in the 73rd minute and faced two shots on goal. Armstrong made three saves in her stint of the match for a total five-save shutout.

Urbanek knocked in another insurance goal for the Huskies in the 85th minute, after the ball was played out of the corner to her at center field just inside the box. Urbanek took her time before burying one past Baron into the far right side of the net, giving UConn a final 3-0 lead.

The Huskies close out their home stretch with Alumni Day on Sunday, Oct. 11 at 1 p.m. against Cincinnati at Morrone Stadium.