Skip to main content Skip to footer
McGuire's Late Goal Lifts UConn Past Memphis

Senior Sam McGuire scored the game-winning goal, her fourth goal of the season, in the 1-0 victory over Memphis.
Oct. 15, 2015

Final Stats

Memphis, Tenn. -- A late second half goal pushed the No. 15 UConn women's soccer team (13-2-0, 5-1-0) past Memphis (7-5-3, 2-2-2) on Thursday. The 1-0 win over the Tigers extended the Huskies' current winning-streak to five games.

The two played 45 minutes with no score, leaving match all tied up at nil going into the break. UConn and Memphis were fairly even in offensive chances, continually remaining equal in shots throughout the first frame. 

Seniors Samantha McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) and Andrea Plucenik (Brooklyn, Conn.) dominated on offense for UConn in the first half. McGuire got the first shot off for the Huskies in the ninth minute after she chipped one up over the net. Plucenik answered just minutes later with a shot on goal that was knocked away by Memphis goaltender, Maryse Bard-Martel.

McGuire registered five shots total in the first half, putting one of them on goal. Plucenik tallied three shots, including the team's other shot on goal. UConn and Memphis were even at 10 shots going into the halftime break. The Tigers got off a last minute shot on goal, bringing their first half total to three shots on goal compared to UConn's two.

Memphis held UConn offensively in the second half, controlling the play coming out of the break. Senior Annie Wickett (Frederick, Md.) made a crucial play on defense just over ten minutes into the second half, where she slid from behind to knock the ball away from Memphis, taking away a breakaway opportunity and preserving the 0-0 tie. 

The Huskies got their first shot of the second half in the 68th minute when freshman Kim Urbanek (Lonnerstadt, Germany) fired the ball on net off a cornerkick by Plucenik, but it went right into the bread basket of Bard-Martel.



McGuire pushed UConn into the lead in the 79th minute after she shot the ball and it glanced off Bard-Martel and trickled into the back of the Tigers' cage. This marked McGuire's fourth goal of the season, bringing her to a total 11 points so far this year. 

UConn tried to run down the remaining ten minutes, but Memphis was able to get off two shots in the last five minutes. Junior goalkeeper Emily Armstrong (Collegeville, Pa.) made a tremendous save on a Memphis header in the 88th minute to preserve UConn's 1-0 lead.

Memphis outshot UConn 16-12, but both teams were equal with four shots on goal. Armstrong recorded four saves for yet another shutout this season. Bard-Martel recorded three saves off of four shots for the Tigers. 

The Huskies will close out the weekend on the road at Tulsa on Sunday, Oct. 18 at 1 p.m. central time (2 p.m. eastern) at Hurricane Stadium before returning home to Morrone Stadium on Thursday, Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. when they will take on Houston.