Skip to main content Skip to footer
Offense Sparks 3-0 Victory Over DePaul For Women’s Soccer
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
– The University of Connecticut women’s soccer team began quickly with a goal in the first five minutes of the game and was able to fend off DePaul adding some more offense during the first period and ousting the Blue Demons, 3-0.

The Huskies (5-7-4, 3-2-3) got off to a quick start scoring their first goal of the game at 3:23. Freshman Melissa Busque (St. Bruno, Quebec) got ahead of the pack receiving the ball from sophomore Kacey Richards (Williamstown, N.J.) who dished it out at the midfield. After a few dribbles Busque passed the ball to an open Elise Fugowski (Stockholm, N.J.) right in front of the goal who tapped it in the net for the score.

DePaul (2-14, 0-8) almost had a goal when senior Stephanie Labbe (Stony Plain, Alberta) was pulled out of position after trying to stop a back pass. DePaul’s Shannon Williams who had been pressuring Labbe all night took a shot on goal but the great defense by UConn blocked the shot and still managed to maintain possession while Labbe could get back into position.

During the tenth minute of play, DePaul assistant coach Chad Chastain was ejected after arguing a call made by the referee to stop play with DePaul on the offense. The referee stopped play as senior Liz Eng (Chicgo, Ill.) was still lying at the midfield after a collision with a DePaul player. After some attention, Eng was able to walk off of the field.

UConn scored their second goal of the night during the 36th minute when sophomore Cory Bildstein (Stockton, N.J.) crossed a pass to sophomore Erin Clark (Somers, Conn.). Clark dribbled around a defender and then shot the ball to the lower right corner of the goal with the ball deflecting off the post and into the goal.

UConn took a 3-0 lead with just one minute remaining in the first half. Senior Katie Radchuck (Halifax, Nova Scotia) scored her first goal of the year, on her second shot of the season with a little help from Fugowski and Bildstein. Both Fugowski and Bildstein tallied their first multi-point efforts of the season.

Heading into halftime, UConn dominated the Blue Demons taking 16 shots to DePaul’s eight. With the Huskies nine shots on goal, DePaul goalie Kelsey Hoinkes had six saves, four more than the two by Labbe.

The pace of the game slowed down during the second half. UConn still controlled the majority of the momentum though taking another nine shots. It looked as though Radchuck was going to score her second goal of the game during the 53rd minute of the game but her shot sailed just wide of the goal giving the possession back to DePaul.

But UConn held on to record their fifth shutout of the season in a 3-0 manner.

The Huskies are back in action Sunday, Oct. 19 in the afternoon when they take on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. The game will be broadcasted on CBS C television with Ann Schatz and Tammy Blackburn making the calls and kickoff time set for 1:03 p.m.

GOALS BY PERIOD                  1st         2nd        Total

DePaul                                     0          0          0

Connecticut                             3          0          3



1. 3:23              UCONN Fugowski, Elise             (Busque, Melissa and Richards, Kacey)

2. 35:37            UCONN Clark, Erin                    (Bildstein, Cory)

3. 44:15            UCONN Radchuck, Katie            (Bildstein, Cory and Fugowski, Elise)

SAVES: Connecticut 4, DePaul 9

SHOTS: Connecticut 23, DePaul 11