Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Wins 2-1 in Double Overtime

Senior Sam McGuire scored her second game-winner of the season in the double overtime period against Tulsa.
Oct. 18, 2015

Final Stats

Tulsa, Okla. – The No. 15 UConn women’s soccer team (14-2, 6-1) came back from behind to defeat Tulsa (12-4-1, 3-3-1) 2-1 in double overtime after being down 1-0 going into halftime. Senior Samantha McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) netted the game-winning goal, her second of the weekend, in the 105th minute of the second overtime period.

Tulsa took the lead in the 24th minute off a shot from Tana Dake 18 yards out from the cage.Tulsa was awarded a penalty kick with seven seconds left on the clock in the first half, but was denied by junior goalkeeper Emily Armstrong (Collegeville, Pa.).

 The Golden Hurricane held a 1-0 lead going into the halftime, despite UConn outshooting Tulsa 7-5 in the first frame.

UConn came out strong in the second half with junior Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) registering a shot in first few minutes.

Senior Andrea Plucenik (Brooklyn, Conn.) tied the game up in the 49th minute when she shot it from in close on the left side into the corner of Tulsa’s net to knot the score up at 1-1.

UConn kept up the pressure those next ten minutes with a plethora of shots from Plucenik, McGuire and junior Stephanie Ribeiro (Pawtucket, R.I.), who were grinding for that second goal.

Between the 70th and the 84th minute, the pitch was relatively quiet; there were no real scoring chances from either team and a high number of fouls on both teams. UConn put up four really close scoring chances in the last minutes of regulation time, from Plucenik, Ribeiro, sophomore Danielle Gottwik (New Port Richey, Fla) and freshman Heidi Druehl (Stamford, Conn.). Druehl’s shot came in the very last second of regulation and it appeared the Huskies could have claimed the win, but her shot missed just high of the cage.



This marked the first time the Huskies have gone into extra minutes all season. UConn had two more scoring opportunities in the first overtime period. Gottwik came out in the 93rd minute and ripped a shot on goal, but it was saved by Tulsa’s goalkeeper Courtney McKeon. Thirty seconds later, Plucenik put another on net for the Huskies that hit off the post.

After that, neither team had any promising scoring chances or could capitalize on any offense play and the game was forced into double overtime.

McGuire came out firing in the second overtime period. She dinged a shot off the cross bar in the 102nd minute, and then capitalized off her own rebound, but it was blocked by Tulsa’s defense.

McGuire won the game in 105th minute when she shot from 12 yards out up the middle of the pitch, earning UConn the 2-1 double overtime win in the team’s last away match of the regular season.

UConn outshot Tulsa 22-10, but only 8-7 shots on goal. Armstrong and McKeon were even, recorded six saves each.

The Huskies will return home to Morrone Stadium on Thursday, Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. when they take on Houston before hosting SMU on Sunday, Oct. 25 at 12 p.m. for Senior Day.