Skip to main content Skip to footer
Women’s Soccer Shuts Out Syracuse 2-0
  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss
– The University of Connecticut women’s soccer team downed Syracuse 2-0 Friday night securing their berth in the BIG EAST Tournament for the 16th straight season, every year since the inauguration of the BIG EAST conference.

UConn (6-8-4, 4-3-3 BIG EAST) put the pressure on the Orange (5-10-2, 2-7-1 BIG EAST) during the first half. At 11:30, freshman Melissa Busque (St. Bruno, Quebec) sent a cross left in front of the goal to senior Brittany Tegeler (Baldwin, Md.) who struck the ball into the middle of the net for the score and the early lead. The goal was Tegeler’s fourth of the year, all coming in BIG EAST play.

It looked as thought UConn would be able to add to their lead during the 33rd minute when sophomore Elise Fugowski (Stockholm, N.J.) got away from the three defenders and had a chance one-on-one against the Syracuse goalie Eliza Bennettt-Hattan. But a quick kick from Bennett-Hattan saved the goal. Sophomore Erin Clark (Somers, Conn.) got the rebound and sent a pass that went wide and was cleared out by a Syracuse defender. Junior Lauren Ebert (Hillsborough, N.J.) had the last opportunity to score for the Huskies during the onslaught but her pass just flew high of the crossbar.

UConn dominated during the first half taking 10 shots to Syracuse’s four. The offense didn’t stop for the Huskies as they continued their domination into the second half. Just a few minutes in, UConn had took seven shots.

During the 54th minute of the game, Syracuse had their best opportunity to score when Megan Bellingham got ahead of the UConn defense taking a shot on goal, but a diving stop by senior goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe (Stony Plain, Alberta) kept the UConn lead.

An offsides call during the 60th minute negated a definite goal by sophomore Cory Bildstein (Stockton, N.J.) The goal would have been her second of the year and would have given UConn a 2-0 lead. Many offsides calls were made during the game against UConn as they received six.

UConn did get their 2-0 lead just minutes later on a rocket by sophomore Kacey Richards (Williamstown, N.J.) at 62:40. Richards took a shot from just outside of the box and sent a laser shot to the top right of the goal. Bennet-Hattan tried to make the save, but her attempt just pushed the ball into the goal.

UConn almost went up 3-0 just minutes later when Busque put herself in the way of a kick Bennett-Hattan meant to send up field. The deflection off the body of Busque sent the ball flying into the backfield just missing the goal by a foot.

UConn finished the game with 23 shots, Syracuse only had 11 as the Huskies determined most of the possession through out the game.

The Huskies are back in action for their final game of the regular season, Sunday, Oct. 26 at 1:00 p.m. Prior to the game the eight graduating seniors will be honored.


GOALS BY PERIOD                  1st         2nd        Total

Syracuse                            0          0          0

Connecticut                        1          1          2



1. 11:30  UConn Tegeler, Brittany (4)  (Busque, Melissa)

2. 64:20  UConn Richards, Kacey (1)  (unassisted)


SAVES: Connecticut 3, Syracuse 7

SHOTS: Connecticut 23, Syracuse 11