Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Wins 3-0 At Temple, Clinches Home Quarterfinal Game

Lindsey Watkins scored her first career goal 41 seconds into the match
Oct. 26, 2014

Final Stats

AMBLER, Pa. – The UConn women’s soccer team scored twice in the first ten minutes and held Temple to two shots on goal in a 3-0 shutout on Sunday afternoon at Ambler Soccer Field. The win in the regular season finale improves the Huskies to 11-4-4 on the year and 4-2-3 in The American Athletic Conference, clinching the No. 4 seed in the upcoming conference tournament and a home quarterfinal match. Temple falls to 10-7-1 and 3-5-1 in league play with the loss.

Lindsey Watkins (Litchfield, Conn.) and Rachel Hill (Rollinsford, N.H.) put the Huskies on top early with goals in the first and seventh minutes, respectively, before Riley Houle (Columbia, Conn.) iced the contest with an 84th minute strike. The goal for Watkins was the first of the senior’s career, while Hill notched her league-leading 14th tally of the season and Houle picked up her sixth marker of 2014.



In goal, Allison Saucier (Rocky Hill, Conn.) and Emily Armstrong (Collegeville, Pa.) each made one save in their respective halves of work to give the Huskies their seventh shutout of the season.  UConn out-shot Temple 11-8 overall, including an 8-2 edge in shots on goal. Shauni Kerkhoff made five saves for the Owls.

The Huskies wasted no time taking an early lead, scoring 41 seconds into the match to jump ahead. After a turnover in the Temple end, Hill sent a pass across the box to Watkins, who roofed her first career goal into the top right corner.

Barely five minutes later, Hill took it on herself to double the UConn advantage. Samantha McGuire (Fishkill, N.Y.) started the scoring play by pushing a pass towards the penalty area, which Hill gathered and ripped past Kerkhoff from 18 yards out.

Saucier kept Temple off the board following a golden chance for the Owls in the 11th minute, lunging to her right to make a diving save on a free kick bid from the edge of the box. Neither team generated much of a chance in the remainder of the first half, with the Huskies taking their 2-0 lead to the break.

In the 53rd minute, Armstrong took her turn to make a big save on a free kick, leaping to grab a Lafferty attempt from 20 yards out. The Huskies stifled Temple throughout the second half, with that representing Temple’s only shot on goal until UConn extended the lead with Houle’s long-distance goal in the 84th minute.

The Huskies are back in action next at the 2014 American Athletic Conference Championship. The tournament begins on Oct. 31, and UConn will first play in the quarterfinals on Nov. 2. After the day’s results, UConn will be the No. 4 seed in the tournament and host the No. 5 seed Tulsa at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.