Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Falls to Memphis in Regular Season Finale

Hill tallied her team-leading twelth goal in the loss. The freshman has accumulated 29 points this season.

Oct. 27, 2013

Box Score

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The University of Connecticut women's soccer team fell to Memphis by a score of 5-1 on Sunday afternoon in Tennessee. The Huskies drop to 5-4 in the American and 11-8 overall. Memphis earns their fourth conference win for a 4-5 record in the American and an 11-7 overall performance.

The Tigers utilized their home field advantage for an early leg up on the visiting Huskies. A UConn foul in its defensive end resulted in a Memphis free kick from 38 yards out. Kaitlyn Atkins took the free kick, playing a long ball into the middle of the box that skipped off the head of Kelley Gravlin, floated over the top of a charging Emily Armstrong(Collegeville, Pa.) that one-hopped into the UConn goal at the nine-minute mark.

Connecticut pressed back up the field to earn several close chances, including a Stephanie Ribeiro (Pawtucket, R.I.) header that just missed high and left of the goal. Just a few moments later Jennifer Skogerboe saved a ball on the offensive end line and played a low cross that Rachel Hill(Rollinsford, N.H.) one-touched from the top of the five-yard box, but her shot sailed just over the crossbar.

Hill would not be denied, however, earning a corner kick that she would use to tie the game for UConn at one apiece. The freshman looked to capitalize on a numbers advantage with an incoming Ribeiro, sending a centering ball that deflected off a Memphis defender and over the endline for the corner kick. Ribeiro played the kick in tight to the goalmouth, finding its way to Houle who directed it to Hill on the back post for her team-leading twelfth goal of the season in the 28th minute.



Memphis added a late goal to the first half scoring for a 2-1 lead before intermission. Kylie Davis controlled the ball on the left side of the UConn goal and sent a ball to the waiting foot of an unmarked Valerie Sanderson posted on Armstrong's doorstep. Sanderson put home the try from in tight to earn the tally at 40:01. UConn could not find an answer in the remaining five minutes before the half, entering the break in play down 2-1.

The Huskies worked to notch the equalizer early in the second half but could not find the back of the net. Skogerboe unleashed a shot about five minutes in that just went high and right of the cage while a Riley Houle(Columbia, Conn.) shot from the top of the 18 several minutes later was stopped by Memphis goalkeeper Maryse Bard-Martel. Memphis regained momentum on a UConn own goal in the 50th minute to take a lucrative 3-1 lead over the Huskies.

UConn came close to narrowing the gap midway through the second half on another Ribeiro corner kick. Several Huskies put a foot on the ball but could not find daylight through the traffic on the goal line. Memphis countered quickly and rushed the ball down the field, taking a wide shot that went left of the goal to Emily Adamic, who played a shot on goal that Christabel Oduro redirected in front for a 4-1 Memphis lead. Honeye Heydari added a fifth goal with 1:24 remaining.

Emily Armstrong made five saves for Connecticut in the loss while Maryse Bard-Martel stopped eight shots in net for the Tigers. UConn finished with a slight advantage in corners, 4-3 and shots, 16-13. 

More information regarding American standings and playoff seeding will be available in the coming days. Be sure to check back to as well as as information and standings become available this week.