Skip to main content Skip to footer
UConn Falls To Hofstra In NCAA First Round, 1-0

Nov. 12, 2010

Box Score

Newton, Mass. - With the season on the line, the UConn women's soccer team fell in the NCAA Tournament First Round to Hofstra, 1-0. UConn's season ends with a 10-10-3 mark while Hofstra advances to the NCAA Second Round with a 19-2 record. A goal in the first 10 minutes of the game for Hofstra's Tiffany Yovino was the deciding factor.

It was a game of missed opportunities for the Huskies as UConn dominated possession for all but 10 minutes of the game. The Huskies finished the game with an 18-10 edge in shots.

The Pride put home the game winner at 9:04 with a goal from Tiffany Yorvino. Grace Hawkins sent a cross in from the left side. UConn goalkeeper Jessica Dulski (Pittsford, N.Y.) got a hand on the cross, but Yovino was able to jump on the loose ball, heading it into the right side of the net.

Connecticut settled down and put together a few strong offensive attacks beginning with a shot from Jessica Shufelt (Rochester, N.Y.) at 20:22. Shufelt was able to turn her defender at the right corner of the six-yard box, but her shot towards the top corner was blocked for a corner kick. The corner by Shufelt was cleared to the top of the box where sophomore Danielle Dakin (Wilbraham, Mass.) blasted a shot, hard and low, that went just wide of the left post.

Senior Elise Fugowski (Stockholm, N.J.) continued the high pressure on the Hofstra defense with a shot from the left corner of the six-yard box that was saved by Hofstra goalkeeper Krista Thorn. Shufelt sent a low cross in from the left side of the box that bounced a few feet in front of Fugowski. Fugowski one-timed the ball towards the lower-left side but Thorn made a sliding kick save to keep the score at 1-0 in favor of Hofstra.

Following the first 10 minutes, the Huskies were able to dominate possession the remaining 35 minutes of play, outshooting Hofstra 7-2. For the half, UConn held the edge in shots, 7-6, but was down, 1-0, on the scoreboard.



Connecticut continued the high pressure that led to a Melissa Busque (St. Bruno, Quebec) scoring chance at 46:45. Busque found space in the left side of the box and sent a shot just past the right post.

Fugowski had another good scoring opportunity at 56:20 but her shot from the top of the box dipped a few feet late, going out for a goal kick. Junior defender Karen Gurnon (Tolland, Conn.) had a header a minute later after a free kick that went wide of the right post.

The best chance of the game for the Huskies came with just 14 minutes remaining. After a poor clear from the Hofstra defense, Shufelt found herself all alone from 10 yards out but placed her shut wide of the left post.

The quality scoring chances continued, with similar results, when senior Kacey Richards (Williamstown, N.J.) one-timed a shot from the top of the box that curled wide of the right post in the 84th minute. Just two minutes later, with the goalie sprawled on the side of the box, a chip from Erin Clark (Somers, Conn.) at the left side of the box bounced right of the net.

The clock wound down and the Huskies saw the time tick down on their season, with Hofstra celebrating the 1-0 victory.

In the first game, Boston College utilized a late-game comeback to defeat cross-town rival Boston University, 2-1. The Eagles scored two goals in the final 14 minutes to advance to the second round. BC and Hofstra will play at 1 p.m. in Newton, Mass.