Skip to main content Skip to footer
Women's Soccer Falls to Penn State 1-0

STORRS, Conn. (September 6, 2007) – Despite out shooting #15 Penn State, the 17th ranked University of Connecticut women's soccer dropped a 1-0 decision on Thursday. This is the second consecutive game that UConn has out shot an opponent ranked ahead of them, but lost by a one goal deficit.  The Huskies drop to 1-2-0 on the season with both losses coming against teams ranked in the top 15.  Penn State is 2-1-0.

UConn had several good opportunities to score throughout both halves.  Within the first 10 minutes of the game, Karyn Riviere (Guilford, Conn.) beat two defenders to the far post and headed a ball just wide of the goal.  The best chance of the first half came when the Husky forwards forced a turnover and Annie Yi (Indianapolis, In.) hit a half volley that dipped just high of the goal from the top of 18 yard box. Midway through the half, UConn lost senior captain and go-to midfielder Meghan Schnur (Butler, Pa.) to a right ankle injury on a late tackle.  The play went back and forth until UConn had another look with 11:05 left in the first half, when Brittany Taylor (Campbell Hall, N.Y.) sent a pass to Meghan Cunningham (Simsbury, Conn.) that was broken up by the Nittany Lion defense.

The lone goal of the game came in the 37th minute when Aubrey Aden-Buie hit a cross that went wide of everyone and found its way into the top left corner of the net.

The second half started off with a flurry as Brittany Tegeler (Baldwin, Md.) made a far post run, beating her defender to a cross, but was unable to put it on goal.  Later, Tegeler had another chance that Penn State goalie Alyssa Naeher denied and then made a diving save on the rebound by Riviere. Not to be outdone Husky goalie Stephanie Labbe (Stony Plain, Alberta) made a great save 30 seconds later as the Nittany Lions countered, only to be stonewalled by her.

UConn had two more solid chances by Schnur, who returned as a forward for the second half.  On a free kick just outside the 18 yard box, Schnur bent the ball around the wall to the bottom corner of the goal, but Naeher made a diving save to knock the ball wide for a corner kick.  Later in the half, Schnur beat a Penn State defender into the box and volleyed a cross from the left side of the field high of the net.

The Huskies out shot Penn State 14-8 (6-3 for shots on goal) for the game.  Riviere led the team with four shots including two on goal.  Penn State goalkeeper made five saves in the second half to Labbe’s one.

Connecticut returns to action this Sunday when they host Central Connecticut State. Game time is scheduled for 1:00 pm at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

GOALS BY PERIOD...............1          2       Total
Penn State............................1        0      1
Connecticut..........................0        0      0

1. 37:24 Penn State Aubrey Aden-Buie  (unassisted)

SAVES: Connecticut 2, Penn State 6
SHOTS: Connecticut 14, Penn State 8