UConn wins first BIG EAST match of the season.
University of Connecticut Director of Tennis Glenn Marshall has announced the hiring of Monica Purice as the new assistant coach of the women's tennis program.
Purice comes to Connecticut after three seasons as the assistant coach of the men's and women's programs at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne. As an assistant at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW, Purice led the women's team to the 2010 and 2011 Summit League regular season and tournament titles. The women's squad also captured the 2009 regular season championship.
An experienced collegiate player, Purice graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a degree in social science and organization studies in 2008 and was named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll as a senior. She excelled at Oklahoma, playing No. 1 and No. 2 singles and doubles with the Sooners.
Purice has also coached at several youth and adult clubs, most recently serving at the Stamford Yacht Club in Stamford, Conn. She previously served as the Tennis Instructor at Lifetime Sports Academy in Fort Wayne, Ind. and at The Bridges Family Resort and Tennis Club. At the youth and amateur level, Purice competed and coached in her native Romania and was ranked in the top-5 in 2003-04.
- Daughter: Lucia Purice and Neculai Purice
- Born: December 16th 1983
- Sister/Brother: Ciprian Purice (32 years old)
- Any athletes in the family: My father played handball on the Romanian national team
- Favorite Athlete: Rafael Nadal and Kim Clijsters
- Favorite Movie: We are Marshall, The Blind Side, Miracle on Ice
- Hobby: Reading a good book, playing with my dog, watching a comedy movie
- Couldn't live without: My dog and my friends
- Something we don't know about you: I don't like horror movies and fast food
- Fun facts: Being an athlete all my life it gave me the opportunity to travel all over the world and learn different cultures
- Hobby: Watching movies, read a great book, hang out with friends, hiking and traveling
- Anything else: I like the old history of the buildings, cities and countries, that's one of the reason why I love to travel in Europe