EAST HARTFORD, Conn. - The UConn women's tennis team opened a five-match home stand on Tuesday afternoong falling to the No. 63 Brown Bears, 7-0 at the East Hartford Tennis Club. The Huskies dropped to 5-4 on the season.
UConn and Brown split the first two doubles matches, leaving the opening point to the outcome of the #1 doubles match-up. UConn's #3 freshman doubles pairing of Yelyzaveta Pletnyeva (Vinnitsa, Ukraine) and Summer Walker (Conyers, Ga.) posted a 6-4 win over Ammu Madalap and Ashley Noyes. The Bears, who are ranked #63 in the latest ITA team rankings, won at #2 and the deciding #1 doubles match came down to a tie breaker.
Senior Maxene Weinberg (Marietta, Ga.) and junior Srna Stosljevic (Novi Sad, Serbia) battled but came up short, losing 7-6 (1) to Dayna Lord and Alyza Benotto.
In singles play, Stosljevic and sophomore Shea Flanagan (Overland Park, Kans.) played three-set matches at #1 and #6 but came up short. Stosljevic lost the first set, 6-3, to Lord but rebounded for a 7-5 win in the second. She came up short in a third set tiebreak, 10-6. At #6, Flanagan lost her first set to Nikita Uberoi 6-0 but came back to win 6-3 in the second. Uberoi took the match in the third, 7-5.
The Huskies are back on the court on Saturday, February 21st when they play host to the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds at Lincer Tennis Academy in Windsor, Conn. The match is set to start at 12:45 pm.
Brown 7 UConn 0
East Hartford Tennis Club - East Hartford, Conn.
1. D. Lord (Brown) def. S. Stosljevic (UConn) - 6-3, 5-7, (10-6)
2. A. Benotto (Brown def. E. Alderman (UConn) - 6-2, 6-2
3. H. Camhi (Brown) def. Y. Pletnyeva (UConn) - 6-4, 6-2
4. A. Mandalap (Brown) def. Z. Zaki (UConn) - 6-1, 6-4
5. M. Stearns (Brown) def. S. Walker (UConn) - 6-1, 6-1
6. N.Uberoi (Brown) def. S. Flanagan (UConn) - 6-0, 3-6, 7-5
1. Benotto/Lord (Brown) def. M. Weinberg/Stosljevic (UConn) - 7-6 (1)
2. Camhi/Stearns (Brown) def. Zaki/Alderman (UConn) - 6-4
3. Pletnyeva/Walker (UConn) def. Mandalap/A. Noyes (Brown) - 6-4
UCONN OFFICIAL STORE
UCONN OFFICIAL AUCTIONS